High pitched squeal, sounds like bad turbo

R66SS427

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I thought my turbo(one of them) was bad. Keep hearing a really high pitched squeal but only while accellarating above 55 mph. Around 25-30 lbs boost. Dealer tells me hes quite sure its some pipe behind the turbo that cracks. He's replaced several already on the 6.4's. Anybody heard of this or had it done?
Thanks

Bigboytoys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya not the first cracked head pipe I've heard of. See if you could sweet talk em into a after market one, first off it's bigger and single wall and they're 2 piece, so ya don't have to lift the cab to put it in!!!

Bigboytoys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFE, River City Diesel,....yes, to put a one piece down pipe in, yes you gata lift the cab. All after market ones I've looked at are two piece. You cut the stock one in two and pull it out, slip in the new one with a band clamp to join it, still uses the stock style ball flange if you get the 4 in'r. ps I suggest stainless BTW.

R66SS427

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. I've checked both thier web sites and do not find a head pipe. I'd buy one myself and install it rather than have the dealer tie the truck up for a week.

AFE, River City Diesel,....yes, to put a one piece down pipe in, yes you gata lift the cab. All after market ones I've looked at are two piece. You cut the stock one in two and pull it out, slip in the new one with a band clamp to join it, still uses the stock style ball flange if you get the 4 in'r. ps I suggest stainless BTW.

Bigboytoys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd look again, they're there. AFE main page under 6.4, race pipe/down pipe. PM me and we'll figure this out.

JRJ04

Reaction score
just a thought...

check your intercooler boots and make sure they are clean, oil free, uncracked, and tight..

Your symptons liken themselves to this issue as well.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a thought...

check your intercooler boots and make sure they are clean, oil free, uncracked, and tight..

Your symptons liken themselves to this issue as well.

X2.

Under higher boost pressures, if there's loose or cracked boot, The Reed valve effect could be causing the sound you hear ?

Worth a Look See.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58