Horrible fuel mileage

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like patrick said dpf delete and a tuner i got both but its only 3mpg better and like he said nowhere near a 7.3 whats that one saying " dont worry be happy "

spinningwheel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Same boat

My 2008 f350 dually 430 gear is also horrible.I'm hoping that banks tuner will help some.The are saying it will be released sometime in April,I'll wait and see the results.

pwrstrkit

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I traded my f-450 in for that very reason. it got 9 empty and 5 towing a 40 ft. toyhauler. my 06 f-350 tow boss got better mpg all the way around. 15 empty and 10 towing the same trailer! wish I never traded in my tow boss.

Jimmy Tanner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mileage Report: 1000 miles from Solomons Island Maryland to Bristol Tennessee this past weekend and back, pulling a 24' Dutchmen Travel Trailer. About 100 miles at 55 mph with some stop and go at a few stop signs and traffic lights. Another 80 miles at 60 mph, with the remainder on the interstates (95, 64, and 81) running 65 MPH. I did run 70for a short while and the mileage dropped to around 8.

Same trip last fall ran at 80 mph on the superroads with the Silverado and I got 12.8. I love my SD but I hate the miles per gallon.

9.1 mpg.

abitz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
has anybody tryed the banks cold air and exhaust upgrade on their 2008 6.4 ? if so did the gas milage go up ?

torqlvr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I wanted a new SD really bad, especially with the deals being offered on diesel trucks right now, but the fuel mileage reported by several owners has put the brakes on it for me. I love the looks of the new Super Duty Fords and was hopeful that the new 6.4 would be a more reliable engine than the 6.0s. I think the 6.4 is a better engine but the mileage is so poor that I've decided to stay with my ''05 Dodge Cummins. I bought the Dodge after several diesel guys talked me out of the problem-prone 6.0 Ford. I'll have to admit, the Dodge has been flawless. Zero problems with the 5.9 Cummins and nearly 14 mpg towing a 27ft Keystone Sprinter 5th wheel camper. I can get as high as 22 mpg empty on the interstate and get a constant 19.3 - 19-7 mpg in mixed city/highway driving around home. I just can't justify trading that for a new SD that gets 10 - 12 empty. I wonder if Ford knows how many sales they're losing due to this poor mileage! I've owned several Ford gassers over the years and they were all good vehicles. I would have bought a Ford SD in '05 except for the bad reports of reliability problems from several people. But I can't complain about the Dodge. It's never been back to the dealer for anything as I do my own oil and filter changes, air and fuel filters too. The inline 6 cylinder design too is proving to be a real benefit. There is plenty of room to work around the engine if need be. It almost reminds me of the old 300 ci six cylinder Ford truck that I used to own. Great truck and easy to work on. The Cummins reminds me of it a lot. As a long-time Ford guy (before '05 anyway), I'll give the SDs another look when they come out with the new Scorpion 6.7 diesel next year, but it's getting harder and harder to go back to Ford after owning this Dodge/Cummins for the last four years!

torqlvr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
By the way, Jimmy Tanner, I was in Bristol for the race this past weekend. Is that why you were there? Maybe we saw each other at the race or in the campground. Small world isn't it?

mick1955

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I think were all in the same sinking boat here. My truck has the 4.10 rear-end. First time I towed 13,500 probably 2000 miles on the truck, before the truck was tuned I got 5.5 mpg. After it was tuned I got 8.6 pulling the same load. I did pull 21,000 back in December using the 210 tune. First tank running 60, I averaged 5.7, second tank running 65 it went down to 4.9.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58