Horrible fuel mileage

Jimmy Tanner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
torqlvr,

Yep, that was me at the race. Been there for 25 of the past 26 races. I always stay at Bill Gaines' Bristol Campground in the J26 Section. Can hardly wait for the fall race, even if I have to push my SD down there!

Jimmy Tanner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mileage Updatge. Alexandria VA to Talladega and back this past weekend. Running naked, without the camper. 72 MPH with cruise on most of the way (745 miles each direction) sometimes a tad higher. Got 16.2 MPG overall.

Now at 4400 miles, seems to be getting better mileage with higher mileage.

torqlvr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Jimmy, the wife and I were at Talladega also. Seems we run in the same circles. We pulled our camper down, a 27ft Keystone 5er, and stayed at Talladega Knights campground. Highly recommend the campground if anyone is interested. Full hookups, great service from great campground owners and close enough to the track to get there with a short tram ride. We walked to the CG one day and it wasn't too bad of a walk, even for us "retired" folks. Still holding off on trading trucks for now though, cause we got 14.0 mpg pulling the 5ver with our Dodge/Cummins. I'll wait and see what the new Scorpion 6.7 diesel is like next year in the SDs.

Jimmy Tanner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We stayed in Dove Ridge CG across from the museum. $350 for the week, includes electric and water. Pay to dump ($30 per). Very good staff and they keep the place neat and clean.

Agree with your waiting. My Silverado got better mileage pulling either the 35' Carriage or 24' Dutchman than does my '08 Super Duty. However, other than the mileage, I love this truck.

I keep reminding myself that I did not buy it for mileage. I did not buy it for mileage. I did not buy it for mileage. I'm starting to believe myselft.

See you at a race track soon!

Jimmy

torqlvr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
We walked right by Dove Ridge a few times. It was between Talladega Knights where we stayed and the race track. Man that is a BIG campground! We really enjoyed the race and the camping though so we'll probably try to do it again next year. Maybe even this year for the November race if our money holds out. We're retired so we try to budget ourselves a bit. We've been thinking about trying to make the Atlanta race in September our next one though.

Jimmy Tanner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I retired once. Now I work for toys and the ability to go places and play. I wish I could figure out how to have plenty of money and no work........I'd write a book and give them a way so everyone could buy fuel!

mick1955

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I've a 2008 F450 with roughly 20k miles on it... I'm getting less than 10 mpg bobtail and between 5 - 6 mpg pulling 17,000lb of trailer. What the heck is wrong with this thing????

That's about 2/3 the mileage that 18 wheelers are getting, and it's HALF the mileage that Chevy 2 1/2 ton trucks pulling equivalent trailers get. It's currently in the dealership AGAIN to get the mileage problem fixed. What can I tell them to do to bring it up to where it belongs? If the Chevy C65 is getting 12-14 pulling 18k of trailer then there's no reason for the Ford 450 not to do the same.

As a comparison when I bought the truck new I traded in an 05 F350 diesel that got 17 mpg bobtail and 10 - 12 mpg pulling the same trailer. I'll tell you, something's gonna change drastically or that's the last Ford truck I'll own. I've gone thru 4 previous diesel Ford F350's, a '95, 99, 01 and 04 and been happy with them. Every one of my previous trucks got decent mileage.

Heck, your making me feel great about my mileage!!! I'm getting about 14.4 driving back and forth to work. All stop and go traffic. Haven't had it on the highway since last year, so hopefully that also has gone up. I have towed 21,000 running the 210 tune and got 5.6, and towing approximately 14,000 last year I got 9mpg... These things love diesel! Just be thankful that's it's not back up in the $4 plus range....

SteveK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you are wasting your time at the dealership seehorse. The '08s with the 6.4L motors are fuel guzzlers. I get 10mpg with no load and 7mpg pulling a 13,500lb trailer with my F450 King Ranch, 4.88 gears.

caddy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2009 250 crew 4x4 King ranch about 3K miles on it and empty city driving I average about 11-12mpg. :eek: Heard from another ford forum its due to the new emission restrictions and regen.:dunno

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no **** Mick1955 no problems with 210 hp tune towin up hill etc and truck feels good ? shoot i thought havin a tune in the 120hp range was just enough so you say its safe with that 210hp ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58