Houston-we've lost the computer

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
kleetus:

are you serious? :notworthy you got too much time on your hands man....:roflmao

i will keep you and everyone posted as soon as i get it done. supposedly it is a nite and day difference. time will tell

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a few other benefits of using Nitrogen in tires:

[1] Nitrogen is denser than Oxygen: This means the larger molecules escape less easily from tires resulting in a more gradual loss of pressure over time. According to the Michelin Tire Manual, a tire that is inflated with Nitrogen loses its pressure 3 times slower than if it were inflated with air.

[2] Nitrogen is moisture free: Pure Nitrogen inflated tires experience less steel belt and rubber degradation. Nitrogen use also reduces valve and wheel corrosion.

[3] Nitrogen provides longer tire life: Nitrogen inflated tires run cooler and require less maintenance according to the Goodyear application bulletin.

[4] Nitrogen is non-flammable: Nitrogen technology has been used in aircraft, military and race car technology for over thirty years.

Here is a good site to learn more about nitrogen.

http://www.getnitrogen.org/

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay... I'm gonna go at this slowly...

1) No it's not... N2 is 14 grams/mole, and O2 is 16 grams/mole, go look at a periodic chart... N is 7 and O is 8, diatomically speaking, 14 and 16 respectively. 1.429g/L and 1.251 g/L densities respecitvely. Basic Chemisty folks...

2) Okay, maybe the nitrogen is dry, but any decent tire shop should have a dryer on the air lines anyway. Go one further, when's the last time you saw a tire shop EVER mount a tire dry? They always put the soapy water slime stuff on the bead to get the tire on the rim. Some of that ends up in the tire. So much for dry... Besides, when't the last time anyone had a tire rust off the rim?

3) If it's so much better for tire life, why don't they offer extended warranties for it, or specify N2 for filing only? Marketing hype. They run cooler, okay, how much cooler? I don't mean according to jim bob's tv show either.. look what 20/20 did to GM's exploding fuel tanks, to get them to explode, and the ensuing lawsuit from GM.

4) Air's not flamamble either... it's the hydrocarbons that are surrounded by it that burn or oxidize. If this has been used for the last 30 years, how come we haven't seen any wide spread use of it, or gov't mandate for automotive use? (they're always up for useless regulations)

Proof is in the pudding though, and if Red's gonna have it done, we'll see soon enough, he should be getting 20 MPG and handle like a vette...

The big claim to fame is even tire pressure according to the website. Okay, so quit being a lazy ass and check your tire pressure like your supposed to. Looks to me like the major problem is moisture, which I can see being an issue. So again, run a decent air drier, and you're fine. Although nitrogen is 3x10 to the -9 power (that's 0.000000003) meters larger in diameter, I can't see any major differences in how long it's gonna take for your tire to go flat.

Sorry don't mean to go off, but something this "dense" really irritates me. Check out the information on the two elements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen

Scot

;()
Reaction score
I thought this post was about a bad computer! :silly

This may be the biggest subject shift (Hijack) in history :eek: :eek: :eek: :roflmao :roflmao

You guys are REALLY spacing me out!!!!!

Last edited:

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
They are supposed to put the bead grease on every tire because the bead could tear if it gets stuck to the rim. As far as the nitrogen, I don't know much. Belle tire was offering it free apon purchase of new tires, but that was about 6 months ago. On a set of 4, recently purchased, they used normal air. They are supposed to have special valve stems too.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
nope, not computing. i called dealer today and got the standard robotic answer -'it's not in yet sir, i have chet looking into it, i will call you when it gets here'. i really wanted to reach thru the phone and strangle the guy.

Kleetus: by no means am i trying to ruffle your feathers. just stating that the technology is out there, it is new to the 'you & me' automobile world and that there are 2 dealerships i MN offering it now. they want to get in on the ground floor - my guy's words - since it is for free, why not.:sweet i am up for trying anything at this point to get 20 mpg and handle like a vette..... :D nascar has been using it for a long time. didn't know about the valve stems, i'll have to inquire!

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CPU Replacement

Red 6 0-no

Yup, that was exactly what they did. identical truck and re-programmed mileage etc.

Everything is running great now, i've put 15000km on it since the replacement. So now I am not so leary to add a chip/programmer.

Cheers

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
hammer: and that is what should have happened. we have no info. on your truck but i assume that your pcm went down when there were other like model years on the lot. it is end 06 and mine is an 03. not any of them on the lots now....:D just noticed the km, must be north of the border. do you have an 04/05? what was your deal?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58