Houston-we've lost the computer

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Red,

I bought a 2006 in march of this year. It had maybe 1000km on it when it started the hesitation and intermittent loss of power. ever since the cpu was replaced all is good.:open :snowed

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No no... no offense taken. I just hate when marketing material gets confused with real factual information. I am curious to see what your results are, and I'm positive you'd give accurate readings, based on you logging of fuel usage and such. Maybe, if you did half your tires? front to rear or left to right, to see in real time which one really does loose less air, wears better etc... That way the regular fill and the N2 fill will both be seeing the exact same temperature changes, loads, and whatever.

bendog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When shopping for a power tank (CO2) at a welding supply store to refill tires on my tow rig after camping on the sand I learned a few things. If anyone is interested ;CO2 is bad for highway vehicle tires because it is highly reactive to temp and elevation changes, as much as a 25 pound pressure increase or decrease depending upon circumstances. Regular air is much less reactive but still reactive. Nitrogen is far more stable. That is why most racecars use it.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
UPDATE: or confusion

get this...i called the dealership (parts) to find out where my pcm is!! after a few minutes the guy comes back and says, 'the part is on the work order.' i said 'huh, does that mean it has already been done & he says perhaps!" i told him it most certainly has not been done. he called me back 10 minutes later and said it came in on saturday (12/23) and it is sitting on the tech's bench and the service guy knows about it. i said great, i will call him today to see what is going on.

meanwhile my ser. mgr. buddy called me back to say the part is in and i could just go in and they'd put it in, -take a couple of hours, no appointment necessary. so the service guy calls me back 1/2 hr. later to say the part has been in for a couple of days and they can get me in late next week. :eek: what? i asked what is taking so long. "well, we can't get you in til wed, thurs, fri. of next week. we had a fire here last week and our bays need to be cleaned. he will need it for at least a day. maybe 2 because he may need to put in a turbo too" he says. :censored: -mad

ok, it is now at the point of getting very frustrating. what should/can i do? i called my ser. mgr. friend - who has not called me back yet. it is getting to the point of me writing a list of all my repairs - warranty and not - of what has gone wrong w/ the truck in less than 55k miles. dare i say:ford dispute board/BBB?? off the top of my head, here goes:

3+ turbos
3 egrs
glow plug harness
9+ injectors
head gasket
exhaust gasket (installed)
2 upper/2 lower ball joints
steering links/bushings (not replaced yet)
brakes (4) b4 38K miles
steering arm thingy (proper name escapes me)

calgon take me away.:drink

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
Houston: computer found, but!!!

oooooooookkkkkkkkkk. here goes.
brought the truck in this morning, last week when i made the apptmt. he said after they put in the pcm the turbo may need replacing. at the time i said 'huh'. :eek: today i asked about the situation. he went and asked the tech. and the answer was 'once the pcm is replaced, the "internals" of the turbo may be binding up a little'. :eek: :eek: i just plain don't see that one folks.

secondly, when i confronted him on his excuse of '30 cetane' rated fuel in MN and it is all bad blah blah blah. he got real short and fiesty. i found out from the 2 refineries here that the diesel is 40-42 rated (made here in the cities and shipped elsewhere).:D

lastly (for now), i told him of my yearly milage figure. he said 11.9 is good to average for a truck like mine.:eek: (insert swear word here) this is where he got really fiesty and just kept repeating himself and stated my plowing, towing driving habits will all affect the mileage. which is all true! but what i could not get him to grasp the concept of was when not towing, not plowing, freeway driving it did not change. pretty much consistant across the board. (you know blue smoke and s_ _ _ _ Y mileage is normal for a truck like mine). i pretty much decided that this was my last visit w/ them and once i get the truck back i am going elsewhere. where-i have no clue.

any thoughts/responses/questions/comments/statements!! can anyone confirm truth or b.s. to the computer and the internals of the turbo??

Dan

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sheesh more excuses and lets HOPE its just lack of training and understanding
of how our turcks work.

seems to me if the turbine or varivane was "binding" it would be evident
(regardless of the pcm state)...

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sheesh...

Dan;
It seems to me that your truck qualifies for the lemon law.
You have been beyond patient. Good luck on finding a different and better dealer.

Maxtor

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
Grab a chair!!

Got my truck back today. Short version is i got a new map, maf and pcm all for free. No $100 deductable charge. WHY, you ask, because they did not solve my blue smoke concern. Jeez, what a surprise. I could have told you (them) that. I said that to him too! They are sticking by the crappy fuel here in MN. Says the next step is to pull a tank from a brand new one from Kent. or any factory and use the fuel that is in that tank and prove it too me -that would be on my dime tho. Seeing as FORD washes their hands when it is a fuel concern. They say they are waiting on a 'how to deal w/ the cost' answere from the new ser. mgr. in charge. We shall see.

Now; on w/ the info. i did get from our 1.5 hour disscussion. I got some info. on the 6.4 - Check it out in the 'test drove' post. On the definition of "idling" they are referring to the commercial trucks who run generators/lites/whatever on a truck that they are using on a job site for 5-8+ hours/day. Our idling at stop lights (some are dang long), drive thru's, banks, run ins into gas stations all don't count. That little 3-10 minute idleing is nothing. He says. I asked if the elevated idle switch i put in would help w/ the coking of the egr/system was a good thing. The answer he gave was what i got. So, all the while when i was doing that type of thing i thought i was causing troubles (due to a clogged egr - subsequent replacement- and told not to let it idle, turns out was all ok. I feel a little better. He did kind of like and want to know how i did my idle.:thumbs
As for MPG; a friend of his was in checking on the status of his truck (it also happened to be in the shop when a van someone pulled in at close of shift one night caught fire after everyone left and turned into a car-b-q inside the shop, 6 other vehicles and everything inside the 8 bay shop got smoke damage, tools, equip. everything:eek: :eek: they guy who drove it in got fired, the abs relay motor would not shut off, he did not disconnect the battery. fired on a technicality.) anyway this guy was in on most of our conversation and he has an early '03 too, said that w/ stock truck he put on a 2.5" level kit and lost 1-2 mpg. he then put on 305 tires and lost another 4-5 mpg.:eek: my tech. confirmed all this. in this guys hand was the Edge A2 gauge and mount. I then asked if he was using that to try and recoup some of his lost mpg. He is not using it now, he now has the Platinum and it goes like a raped ape. spins the rubber in 1-3 gears. my tech. confirmed this too, shaking his head and laughing. his rationale is since everything went down the toilet, might as well continue in that direction. doing the pcm recal. for the larger tires does nothing he added too.
Off the soap box now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58