How good is Mobil 1 gear lubes

superduty73

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of using mobil1 ATF In my power steering pump and use Mobil1 75W140 and 75W90 gear lube in my axls.

has anyone used these and how do you like the lubes?

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Mobil 1 oil products are a PAO base synthetic and you just can't purchase anything any better. I know that the Amsoil and Royal Purple people will chime in here but they are all just about the same. I've used Mobil 1 in the gears for years and it is a good lube.
Jim

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using it in the diffs of my jeep and trucks for 7 years now without a problem. I think it'd be tough for most people to tell a difference between a dino gear lube and a synthetic in typical usage but I'm into "overkill". It just makes me feel better when hammering it up a hill with the heavy trailer on the back. :)

Have a good one,
Dave

mad_matt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Go with any POA synthetic

I'll agree that Mobile 1 is a good product and I have to put in in my trans in a pinch but there are betters our there. I like Amsoil becasue of the Warranty. I also get it at dealer cost which make it cost competative to anything on the market. I also like the fact that you can run it longer than Mobile 1 and most of the other products on the market.

your2slow

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
mad_matt said:
I'll agree that Mobile 1 is a good product and I have to put in in my trans in a pinch but there are betters our there. I like Amsoil becasue of the Warranty. I also get it at dealer cost which make it cost competative to anything on the market. I also like the fact that you can run it longer than Mobile 1 and most of the other products on the market.

Without Oil Analysis I wouldn't run any oil past the recommended drain interval from the engine mfg.
On the gear lube front I've used Mobil 1 products for years and have been pleased with the results.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I run Mobil 1 in my axles, transmission, transfer case and power steering. Never had a problem and am very happy with the performance in cold temperatures as well as warm. I even run Mobil Delvac 1 in the engine.

PublicNuisance

Catch & Release
Reaction score
Considering a change also. The last time I changed diff libe on an LSD/traction lock, I had to add friction modifier I purchased from F@rd (PN# C8AZ-19B546-A) is that needed for my '02 traction lock dif when switching to synthetic?

:thanks

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I use Ford friction modifier in my 96' limited slip while using the Mobil 1. Seems to work fine although I would call the limited a slip a unlimited slip since it doesn't do much.

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PublicNuisance said:
Considering a change also. The last time I changed diff libe on an LSD/traction lock, I had to add friction modifier I purchased from F@rd (PN# C8AZ-19B546-A) is that needed for my '02 traction lock dif when switching to synthetic?

:thanks

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the spec says you need the friction modifier if your gear lube doesn't meet the GL-5 spec. Mobil 1 is GL-5 rated. (I've had a couple of beers with dinner tonight though so I might be completely full of it. :) )

Have a good one,
Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14