How hard is it to change out the rotors

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
Help Please... I've now been to the auto parts store 3 times in 2 days I still can't find the right spindle nut socket. I have the socket to remove the large nut holding the hub on but I cant find out how to get the nut off that is before the outer bearing. I have now destroyed the inner and outer rings that are part of the auto locking hub. I removed the snap ring on the shaft, the 2 washers and then theres 2 rings with teeth that the outer spins and the inner sits over I guess what is a nut holding the outer bearing(spindle nut?), it has a groove that the smaller ring sits on. I've tried 2 of the sockets to remove it but I only managed to tear up the rings. if this makes sense .

Last edited:

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
I'm an idiot. one of the guys over at the dark side told me to remove the small clip that inserts into the outer bearing and keeps you from being able to loosen the nut. Now I have destroyed part of my auto lockers. should I go with manual lockers or can I buy parts to repair the autos? I'm still not sure how to remove the races, repack the bearings and replace the innerbearing seal.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Either press the races in or beat them in using a LARGE hammer and a soft drift pin (or a brazed end on a steel rod).

Dave

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Darth_Stroker said:
I'm an idiot. one of the guys over at the dark side told me to remove the small clip that inserts into the outer bearing and keeps you from being able to loosen the nut. Now I have destroyed part of my auto lockers. should I go with manual lockers or can I buy parts to repair the autos? I'm still not sure how to remove the races, repack the bearings and replace the innerbearing seal.

First,

Get Manual Hubs, They Autos are JUNK!

Second,

Get New Bearings, They are cheap like $10 Each or so, good brand like Timken. ANd You will need the Inner Seal Also.

Each bearing should come with a Race, You can Replace the Races in the HUB if you want, but I would check them and see if they look good or not, If not, you will need to remove them and press in the New Races ( Either with a Bearing & Race Installer or another method like the punch and hammer, be carefull with that method)

Once you have the new races, then grease up the inner bearing and stick it in the hub, then install the Seal, The Seal also can be installed with the same tool or another method

BTW, ALot of the Special Tools can be Loaned at Autozone, they have a whole list of stuff they loan out for a deposit, and then you just get it back when you bring it back.

I have done this job MANY time on the Dana 50TTB and the Dana 60, they are the same as far as these parts go.

It is very easy once you understand all the parts. ;)

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
warn premium lockers it is! The kit from ford to fix my auto lockers was 160, a set of the warn premium was 210 at 4 wheel parts. I bought a couple of brass drifts. hopefully I won't screw anything else up. this project is getting expensive.

Alan

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Naa, just take your time, you shouldn't screw it up ;)

Now REMEMBER to torque the HUB NUts to the CORRECT torque :sweet

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
About 10 miles east of austin.

New rotors are installed and I didn't screw anything else up. after all the trouble trying to figure out the first one I had the second R and R in about an 45min to an hour. And one other thing if you go from auto to manual lockers in some trucks you need a conversion kit thats and extra 80 bucks. Luckily since I chewed some rear about them not telling me on my first trip to the store the manager knocked off 20 bucks. I had my old lady pick them up on the way home from work and they were trying to get her to lift her explorer.:roflmao

Thanks guys for all the help:thanks ...maybe next time I'll try not to get in such a hurry, I'll wipe the grease out and look at what I'm doin a little closer, and maybe just maybe I wont end up spending double my original budget.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Darth Stroker said:
maybe next time I'll try not to get in such a hurry, I'll wipe the grease out and look at what I'm doin a little closer, and maybe just maybe I wont end up spending double my original budget.

Thats how all my projects go also if it makes you feel any better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14