How many use the chalk test for tire pressure?

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the chalk test to get the perfect contact patch for YOUR truck, YOUR tires and YOUR vehicle weight !

Take a piece of chalk. mark a line across each tire, edge to edge, drive forward about 3 or 4 tire revolutions then stop slowly without turning.
look at the chalk line,
if the center is gone, but you see chalk on the edges of the tire, too much air.
If the center is there but the edge is gone, not enough air.

Keep repeating, add or take out air as needed, until you have even wear, on the chalk across the tread. Works on cars trucks, trailers, lawn tractors, you will be impressed with how much longer tires last, when they have the right wear pattern.

Road Racers will do this to ensure the biggest contact patch to the ground so they can corner best....

so I've heard :thumbs -popcorn

ramprat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeppers, did it with the BFG/MT's but have been lazzy & have not done it with the AT's yet -popcorn -popcorn -popcorn

CHPMustang

Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
Do the chalk test to get the perfect contact patch for YOUR truck, YOUR tires and YOUR vehicle weight !

Take a piece of chalk. mark a line across each tire, edge to edge, drive forward about 3 or 4 tire revolutions then stop slowly without turning.
look at the chalk line,
if the center is gone, but you see chalk on the edges of the tire, too much air.

Keep repeating, add or take out air as needed, until you have even wear, on the chalk across the tread. Works on cars trucks, trailers, lawn tractors, you will be impressed with how much longer tires last, when they have the right wear pattern.

Road Racers will do this to ensure the biggest contact patch to the ground so they can corner best....

Good idea'r John I may have to check that out after the BFG's go back on Saturday morning :sweet

Bill

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you do this keep in mind that the air expands in your tires as you drive. it' makes a notable difference in the psi inside the tire hence why all tires list a max psi at cold temperatures.

If you drive mostly short trips around town then you can do this anytime but if you mainly drive long highway trips then make sure you do it shortly after you return home from a long run down the highway to get the tires good and warm.

For those with trucks you have to remember to air them back up once you stick a load on in the truck because the load capacity of the tires decreases with the diminished tire pressure.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep - all good points !

ya musta got that from all the gud book lernin ya got wid dat winning prize money :) :) :)

ArlieEdwards

Arlie
Reaction score
The one I use makes use of flour or any other white powder. Merely put a generous amount of flour in front of the tested tire. drive forward through the flour and look at the track it leaves. Same principle just a little quicker since you only have to drive through it a very short distance.

Arlie

Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:

look at the chalk line,

I used to do something similar all the time while autocrossing, except I used white shoe polish in a bottle with an applicator. The dynamics of the tire under load and at operating temperature are much different than cold and with out any side loading. Try marking the edges of the tread up the sidewalls slightly and take the truck through an interstate cloverleaf ramp and see if you don't get a significantly different result. And for those wondering, no I didn't autocross the truck, it was an 1971 LT-1 Corvette.

Rick "COB" ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58