Question How much does it weigh?

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is a crew cab. Be careful when you buy your tag. If you pull a trailer say like a 16' tandem axle with a farm tractor on it, then your gross weight is over 10,000. The tag offices are notorious for selling a 10,000 pound tag when you need a 16,000 tag. All is well until you get stopped loaded or have a crash while towing and another vehicle is involved. My small garden tractor, trailer and truck weigh over 13,000 pounds together.

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is a crew cab. Be careful when you buy your tag. If you pull a trailer say like a 16' tandem axle with a farm tractor on it, then your gross weight is over 10,000. The tag offices are notorious for selling a 10,000 pound tag when you need a 16,000 tag. All is well until you get stopped loaded or have a crash while towing and another vehicle is involved. My small garden tractor, trailer and truck weigh over 13,000 pounds together.

Your state must be different than mine because GVW on non-commercial vehicles here only applies to the weight of the truck not the cargo in tow. For instance my truck with my 5th wheel toyhauler is right under 10k but the trailer in tow makes my GCW 21k. My truck is rated for 23k so I'm in fact not overweight. We pay for the GTW of the trailer on its tabs. It seems like every state is different in that for non-commercial purposes so check your local laws just don't bother to ask the DOT or DOL because most of them I've found don't know this.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your state must be different than mine because GVW on non-commercial vehicles here only applies to the weight of the truck not the cargo in tow. For instance my truck with my 5th wheel toyhauler is right under 10k but the trailer in tow makes my GCW 21k. My truck is rated for 23k so I'm in fact not overweight. We pay for the GTW of the trailer on its tabs. It seems like every state is different in that for non-commercial purposes so check your local laws just don't bother to ask the DOT or DOL because most of them I've found don't know this.

In MS 3/4 and up vehicles have weighted tags with a B10 being the smallest tag you can purchase. I believe you can go up to a B16 B20 and maybe a B26. Pulling a trailer that carries a cargo is considered part of the vehicle weight and is measured on the ground contact at axles. B tags apply to commercial and non-commercial with F tags for farms. Only half ton t
Pickups do not carry weighted tags.

Think of it this way, you have an tandem axle truck to carry your personal items around so it's is considered not for hire thus it's theoretically non-commercial. You are still required to run the proper weighted tags and cannot exceed up to 57,600 pounds for the total vehicle including any cargo carrying trailer in tow.

The person that started this thread is from MS.

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In MS 3/4 and up vehicles have weighted tags with a B10 being the smallest tag you can purchase. I believe you can go up to a B16 B20 and maybe a B26. Pulling a trailer that carries a cargo is considered part of the vehicle weight and is measured on the ground contact at axles. B tags apply to commercial and non-commercial with F tags for farms. Only half ton t
Pickups do not carry weighted tags.

Think of it this way, you have an tandem axle truck to carry your personal items around so it's is considered not for hire thus it's theoretically non-commercial. You are still required to run the proper weighted tags and cannot exceed up to 57,600 pounds for the total vehicle including any cargo carrying trailer in tow.

The person that started this thread is from MS.

I fully understood you and did realize he was from MS just wanted to make sure that your state didn't have separate laws commercial vs. non-commercial. Not everyone is as well informed as you are. According to your state's DOT it says over 10k GCWR for non commericial requires a DOT number? That sound right to you.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any vehicle with GVWR rated over 10,000 pounds that does not leave the boundaries of the state of Mississippi has to have a MDOT number. If you are over 10,000 and cross state lines then you have to have a USDOT number.

On another note:

If a vehicle greater than 10,000, owned and titled by a business is used by the owner personally on the weekends and he is pulled over for a violation, technically he must have a log book if away from his business address by more than 100 miles. This puts the vehicle in a whole nother realm of requirements. Farms trucks fall under a different requirement but even that is out for public comment now.

HoustonRider

where are my KINGS?
Reaction score
My 09 F250 KR Crew Diesel 4x4 Short Bed, weighed 8370 at a certified scale. Only had Leer 700 on back. Gross was 10,000.

Haven't weighed my 2011 Truck yet. But that gives you an idea. I used to have Ranch Hand replacement front and rear bumpers, but it loaded it up another 400lbs, so I pulled em off.

My 2011 F250 is a diesel 4x4 crew and has the Ranch Hand rear replacement, and the Front Grille Guard, should weigh less than 200 more than Stock.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Has anyone on here had their truck weighed? I'm looking for the weight of my '00 F-250, 7.3L, 4WD, crew cab, automatic. I don't want to pay to have it weighed on the scales at a truck stop. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Drew

why do you need it weighed?

If it needs to be legal, you need a scale ticket anyway, so might as well head to the local truck stop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58