how to clean injector ?

protec.diesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i put a can in a half tank didn't seam to do any thing it is i thinn getting worse or the weather is worse i dont think i will even drive it this week

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Im not sure of exactly what your concern is? Is it a cold start,runs rough and no power until warmed up issue. I would guess that would be the case being how they are going off of the faint sound. What happens is the injectors are not plugged or even dirty for that matter so cleaning them wont do anything if this is your concern. When running a buzz test you are cycling the spool valve which stick and get built up with all kinds of crap that cause cold start issues. Depending on you particular case and the severity there is only a couple of things you can do besides replacing the injectors(if this is the symptom you are having and trusting that your dealer has diagnosed the glowplug system properly and of coarse you dont have a dusted engine). Try getting the engine good and hot and changing the oil-switch to 10w30 diesel oil. Or plug it in when its cold out.

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well reading over that I should mention that by them not being plugged I mean on the fuel side. The problem in a case I described would be on the high pressure oil side- thats why I said change the oil.

protec.diesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
now this may sound stupid to you but how does the oil afect the preasure of the injector and the starting problem is getting worse even when pluged in it is getting down in the single digets

protec.diesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
so can you tell in a few words how they are linked and what-how do i make sure that all is right thanks for your help i may sound clueless but i reall am a deasent shade tree mechanic

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stolen from a website (thats trying to sell something)...

The Powerstroke Diesel Direct Injection Turbo (DIT) Engine utilizes a unique fuel injection system. Absent from a normal fuel injection system are a mechanical injection pump and injection lines. The components which replace the traditional mechanical injection pump include a high pressure oil pump and reservoir, pressure regulator for the oil and passages in the cylinder head for flow of fuel to the injectors.

Fuel is drawn from the tank by the tandem fuel pump which circulates fuel at low pressure through the fuel filter/water separator/fuel heater bowl and then fuel is directed back to the fuel pump where fuel is pumped at high pressure into the cylinder head fuel galleries. The injectors are then fired by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), which are controlled by the PCM but are hydraulically actuated by the oil pressure from the high pressure oil pump. This is what Ford Motor Co. calls a Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injection system, or HEUI system. The control system for the fuel injectors is the PCM and the injectors are fired based on various inputs received by the PCM.

begin reading MORE here --> Page 40: Fuel Management System

DZL JIM

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hope I'm not too late on this...
protec.diesel,
Buzz test is useless. You can pass a buzz with all 8 injectors removed.
Contribution test is the handiest tool of all. It will tell which injectors are weakest.
If you have an injector not firing when cold, it's usually due to a worn poppet valve on the top of the injector, which normally requires specialized machining to correct the wear.
Another common problem is the screw that holds the Armature plate on comes loose and simply needs tightening. This is the small square plate found under the Solenoid on the top of the injector. 4 T-20 torx screws removes the solenoid. The Armature plate should be snug. You can spin it with some effort, but it should not spin freely.
FORD dealers do not flow test/balance injectors, all they do is swap them out. They do not work on them, and they cannot get parts for them.
And finally, a set of 8 brand new injectors costs under $1700 from any number of vendors and you can easily swap them out yourself.
Let me know if you need any help with this. Email is best: [email protected].
Jim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg