how to convert a regular truck to a dually

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is a top heavy load, no matter what truck you pull it with. The wider rear end will make it more stable.

Dave

Last edited:

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen guys looking to go the other way on a few sites in the recent past . see if you can put together a swap . If not you dont have to change the rear end . I know an actual dually rear end is narrower but like alot of other people I put big ass tires on my dually and had to add spacers to keep the rear duals apart . With my spacers and 315 75 16 's I added 6 " to the overall width of my rear end (tire to tire ) It's really no big deal . Just put the dually rims on the back and roll . The rims and tires will be right at the edge of the dually flares and the extra width only makes it more stable . As far as the front , no big deal either , just buy the factory ford spacers to run the dually wheels . They are for sale on ebay and all over all the time for about 300 a set . There are also some companies that sell them aftermarket . You may have to change the front studs , they are a different style of stud to bolt on the adapter but I don't know that changing them is a must .There is no other difference in the front end (i.e. hubs , lockouts , ect ) . As was said you won't be increasing gvrw but definately create a much more stable ride .

It's really not that big of a deal and can be done very easily .

opps , just re read my post . I gave you some bad info . A dually actually has a wider rear end than a srw truck . you will actually need the rear spacers to get the width . I was picturing a truck in my head that a guy on Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum had removed his dually flares and front spacers and put some aftermarket wheels (srw set up ) on it . He then installed pocket flares on the truck to cover where the truck bed is cut for the dually flares . The wheels stuck out about 2" more than they would on a true srw truck . For some reason it confused me . Either way it's doable and you don't have to change the rear end to make it happen . Check here Southwest Wheel Company Steel and Aluminum Truck Wheels and there are some others . As far as the front goes it's still just as I said . Here is a guy who went the other route with his dually front end Front wheel conversion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
maybe he will sell you the stuff he took off .

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58