How to deal with the cold

T0MCHANDLER

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
To all you "upnort" guys, what tricks do you use to deal with the cold. I'm not looking for the "plug it in when it gets cold and it starts fine down to -15" I'm talking about parking on a frozen lake and waking uo to 35 below and a screaming wind.

I carry a couple jugs of meltdown and a spare set of fuel filters all winter. run more #1 than I probably need and haven't had any problems, but just curious. any mods that help deal with the cold??

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not an "upnort" guy but have spent some time in Antartica.

We usta ALLWAYZ park with the front-ends Down Wind, and throw a blanket over the engine ?

Joe

T0MCHANDLER

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I do agree with the front end down wind trick. I always face the truck south in the winter when I am not driving it daily in case I need it and don't have time to wait for the block heater to do it's thing.

I havn't heard the blanket thing before. is that to improve the efficiency if it is plugged in or does it help even out in the boondocs?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do agree with the front end down wind trick. I always face the truck south in the winter when I am not driving it daily in case I need it and don't have time to wait for the block heater to do it's thing.

I havn't heard the blanket thing before. is that to improve the efficiency if it is plugged in or does it help even out in the boondocs?

By Blanket, I meant like a Moving Blanket (Pad).. they were quilted and real heavy duty.. seemed to hold the heat in, from an already warm engine.. and reduce the heat loss some, while plugged in ?

Scot

;()
Reaction score
I never thought of the blanket thing but I'm guessing a couple nice thick moving pads might help. This morning after being parked for 4 hours at a customers house. (20 degrees and wicked winds) My engine retained a decent amount of heat and after 5 minutes of running was very comfy.

If you're away from the truck to work or hunt for 12+ hours I don't think much will help. I've had those starts in the U.P. They're loud, smokey and scary. But with strong batteries and well maintained truck you should be fine. One thing I would say is don't start until 20-30 seconds after your wait to start light is off. A little more glow plug heat couldn't hurt!

And of course, access to a plug should eliminate all your woes. No blanket required then. Half my hood can't retain snow with the heater plugged in.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I'm talking about parking on a frozen lake and waking uo to 35 below and a screaming wind.
Small tin oil drain pan, bag of self lighting charcoal briquets and a heavy canvas tarp. Wrap the tarp around the truck to keep the wind from blowing underneath and then light the charcoal in the pan and slip it under the oil pan. Hour later you are good to go. Guys up here use that method when they are out ice fishing and snow-machining. Some try propane weed burners but about the time you really need them the propane is frozen.

Also helps to drain the oil when you park the truck and take it inside your warm tent or cabin with you and then dump the warm oil back in the truck the next morning.

T0MCHANDLER

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Small tin oil drain pan, bag of self lighting charcoal briquets and a heavy canvas tarp. Wrap the tarp around the truck to keep the wind from blowing underneath and then light the charcoal in the pan and slip it under the oil pan. Hour later you are good to go. Guys up here use that method when they are out ice fishing and snow-machining. Some try propane weed burners but about the time you really need them the propane is frozen.

That's the kind of enginuity I like to see. I would guess that would work as I had to do something very similar to get a 9400 international going last winter. threw a big tarp over it stacked bales around the edge to keep the wind out and fired up a sunflower propane heater under it. came back in four hours, fired it up and drove it to the dealer where it's replacement was sitting.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Also helps to drain the oil when you park the truck and take it inside your warm tent or cabin with you and then dump the warm oil back in the truck the next morning.

:lmao:lmao Wasn't guna go that deep Crumm, but draining the oil woulda been the next level :lmao:lmao

If you have access to electricty.. Heat Tape on the engine & tranny pan works too.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg