how to rebuild a 2002 7.3

jbuller

2001 4x4 powerstroke
Reaction score
No smoke for 10 minutes then it started smokin again.

It ended up that it was only the front passenger side cyclinder that wasnt fireing, i took the valve cover off and pushed the plug into the vcg and it started firing( smother running now) but i still had the blueis smoke that smelled realy strong of deisel. Well i then somthin happened this mornin i got up and had the truck plugged in all night then when i went to start it this mornin it was harder to start than usual but when it did fire up it was running great i let it idle there for 10 minutes and it never did smoke at all i was smelling the exaust and all and it smelled good no strong deisel smell or anything then all of a sudden it just started smokin again, so i dont know if the smoke is a electronic thing with the computor or mabey a sensor making it do that or what but it sure as hell ran good and didnt smoke for a solid 10 minutes. Any ideas now?
PS IT ALSO HAS A SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT THAT GOES ON AND OFF INTERMITANTLY THE WHOLE TIME YOU DRIVE IT AROUND BUT THE SCANNER AT AUTO ZONE WONT PICK THE CODE UP.

Last edited:

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
You say that its hard to start when its cold... do you have a block heater to plug in? I had a similar problem with my truck the first winter that I had it. I found that it still had the factory batteries in it (they were 7 years old at that time). One of the two batteries was bad, this made it hard to start. It would crank fast like normal, but I dont think it had enough power to heat the glow plugs too. My factory batteries had the little sight plug that is supposed to be green, that would be and easy way to check and maybe try to jumpstart. I didn't believe it until I put new batteries in it and everything worked fine.

howardsvm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Time for a rebuild

2000 F-350 185 K I think I am in the same boat. Smokes like crazy when I start it (can't see the house). Light blue at idle when it's cold out. Seems low on power. Hard to start even with new injectors and GP, GPRelay and all the other stuff. It has 185K on it I guss it has been Dusted.

I am shopping around for a rebuilder that realy rebuilds the piston boars not just refreshes them. I have been through this before with an IDI.

jbuller

2001 4x4 powerstroke
Reaction score
f

if youve been following this thread i pulled the negine out of the truck tore it all apart and found that the number 4 and number 5 pistons had multiple broken compression rings. i am currrently in the process of having the machine work done to the block, im just going to redo the entire short block with new pistons/rings and all new bearings and seals.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Happens more often than you would imagine. These engines will go a loooong way if something doesn't break, like a ring.

Dave

howardsvm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Rebuild PSD

What did they tell you they were doing to the piston bores?? Are they honing them oversize and fitting oversize pistons in or are they putting factory size pistons in the old bores breaking the glaze and cutting thr ridge and telling you you are all set. (Thats what you get with a ford reman unit)

Did you see that other thread about the guy with a new rebuild burning a quart a week.

jbuller

2001 4x4 powerstroke
Reaction score
hell no

i wouldnt have them do it anyother way. they measured it to see what the smallest oversize bore will be. then i ordered .030 over pistons and they miked the new pistons and bored it out according to the measurments of the new pistons. wouldnt have it done any other way.

howardsvm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
PSD Rebuild

Hey JBuller As your project progresses can you please post your costs, what got done and what didn't and who makes the parts. Because I am next, shes blowing smoke like a train. Thanks Channing

einarben

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
try to change the oil in the small tank on top of your engine
you will have to suck it from the tank ,do it 3 times let engine run between
for c.a 5-10 minutes add same ammount of oil into it every time, new
5w-30w oil dont forget to put small screw back in after every filling

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members