How to Service Front Wheel Bearing on 4x4???

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be replacing the axle shaft seals soon on my truck, and I've been studying up on how to do so. While I'm at it, I'd like to go ahead and change the front wheel bearings as well. I've had the front rotors off before, and can see that the hub assembly is attached to the steering knuckle from behind. I've been reading through my Haynes manual, and all it goes over is removal of the front wheel bearing assembly. How can I repack and change the front wheel bearings?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The front bearings on our trucks are not serviceable. You can not remove the bearings individually. They are a UNIT BEARING, that is they are both sold/installed as one piece. They are joined together. They cost around $400 each.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I just went outside and checked on my extra bearing; it contains the spindle with the hub and bearings. There is no way that you can separate these, with common tools, and change the bearing. You remove the rotor and then change out the "bearing" and install the rotor.

Dave

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like my last cheby! what a bad idea sealed bearing hub units:watchout

well maybe the ford units will last longer than my chebby at 60k both were toast ..

I want zirk fittings and servicable bearings darn it ;tu

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am on 114,000 miles on the factory units. No looseness yet.
I do wish they were serviceable.

Dave

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, not sure what Ford was thinking on that one... I'd figure that a heavy duty pickup would be designed to be serviceable for something as basic as wheel bearings.

That was going to be my next question, how many miles between replacing the unit bearings?

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dynatrac

It is a nice way to go, but for us electronic 4x4 people, if I understand it properly, you will lose the automatic pneumatic hub engagement with the dynatrac setup, so you can eloc the tx case, but you'll still have to get out to lock the hubs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl