How to upgrade 7.3 fuel system?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for any advice/opinions on how to upgrade the 7.3 fuel system. I think with all that I have done to the truck so far, it would be a next minor...but important....step to take. Any advice on FASS vs Airdog (or something else). Guess my main question, if you could mod the 7.3 fuel system, how would you do it? Thanks;tu

Also, I'm doing a long term stay here in LA in my 5th wheel. I'm only staying about 3 miles from where I'm working at and I can't afford another vehicle right now. Any advice on extra maintanence for a "short-distance" driver....I've started cranking it up in the morning and let it idle for about 20min while I get ready. But I still think the short drives....stop-and-go's....is rough on it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Take it out on the road and get on it! Drive it like you stole it. This will blow out the carbon that gets accumulated on those short trips. Once a week should be good.

Dave

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it out on the road and get on it! Drive it like you stole it. This will blow out the carbon that gets accumulated on those short trips. Once a week should be good.

Dave

No problem there lol. I raced a mustang day before yesterday. I have actually been trying to ease up on my foot. But thanks for the advice Dave...didn't think about that one;tu

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The first thing I did was a "Hutch" mod. That got rid of the OEM design flaws that allow air to get sucked into the fuel system in the mixer assembly. I also went with a good ol' rubber fuel hose between the top of the tank and the pump to get rid of the quick disconnects that like to suck air into the fuel supply line.

The next thing was a pre-pump fuel filter water separator to protect that expensive assed fuel pump. As is, the only protection there is for the fuel pump is a screen in the tank pick-up that isn't much different from a window screen. Buy a new pump one time, and you'll wish it was better protected. All the parts for that are available from any Napa, Car Quest, etc.
vbpgimage.php

Lastly I shimmed the FPR to get about 65 psi. That helped in getting rid of a bit of injector noise inherent with these things. The last injector in the fuel path is literally getting what's leftover from other injectors. Sometimes there isn't enough and the injector makes noise or "cackle" as some refer to it as.

To veryify and monitor my fuel supply pressure & pump operation, I installed a fuel pressure gauge in the cab. I used a isolater to prevent any fuel from actually getting into the cab.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first thing I did was a "Hutch" mod. That got rid of the OEM design flaws that allow air to get sucked into the fuel system in the mixer assembly. I also went with a good ol' rubber fuel hose between the top of the tank and the pump to get rid of the quick disconnects that like to suck air into the fuel supply line.

The next thing was a pre-pump fuel filter water separator to protect that expensive assed fuel pump. As is, the only protection there is for the fuel pump is a screen in the tank pick-up that isn't much different from a window screen. Buy a new pump one time, and you'll wish it was better protected. All the parts for that are available from any Napa, Car Quest, etc.
vbpgimage.php

Lastly I shimmed the FPR to get about 65 psi. That helped in getting rid of a bit of injector noise inherent with these things. The last injector in the fuel path is literally getting what's leftover from other injectors. Sometimes there isn't enough and the injector makes noise or "cackle" as some refer to it as.

To veryify and monitor my fuel supply pressure & pump operation, I installed a fuel pressure gauge in the cab. I used a isolater to prevent any fuel from actually getting into the cab.

X2, on all the above.

Joe

On Edit. Fuel Mods that make you Grin.... at the pump ?

When/if you do the In-Tank Mods.. Cut the Vent Tube off (Harpoon mod), inside the tank. Makes filling the tank All The Way Up a snap. And..... Remove the restrictor thingy from the fill pipe. An 1 5/8" hole saw will do the trick. Then you can use the any size pump nozzel.

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score

vbpgimage.php

Thanks Tail Gunner....

I've read the wiki mods before. Main reason I haven't tried it already ONE: its been hot and humid (thats louisiana for ya) and I'm worried about screwing up something expensive. I'd like to try it with my dad around...he's messed with that stuff before. Won't the FASS or Airdog system get the air out of the line before it gets to the injectors? I know they are expensive:dunno.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Won't the FASS or Airdog system get the air out of the line before it gets to the injectors? I know they are expensive:dunno.

I could never see the benefit of one of those Airdog systems, the cost vs benefit just wasn't there for me.

The "Hutch" mod and rubber hose in leu of the quick disconnect gets rid of the air in the fuel. The fuel filter protects the fuel pump and seems to have gotten rid of a stumble or bucking issue I was having. I had reason to suspect water in the fuel, no proof, just suspicions.

And the shimmed FPR gave it all the fuel it needed.

All for a ton less than an Airdog. :D

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could never see the benefit of one of those Airdog systems, the cost vs benefit just wasn't there for me.

The "Hutch" mod and rubber hose in leu of the quick disconnect gets rid of the air in the fuel. The fuel filter protects the fuel pump and seems to have gotten rid of a stumble or bucking issue I was having. I had reason to suspect water in the fuel, no proof, just suspicions.

And the shimmed FPR gave it all the fuel it needed.

All for a ton less than an Airdog. :D

Again.. X2. The ROI (Return On Investment) Just wasn't there, for me either. For about $100, and a bit of our Own labor.. all these.. air in the fuel/low fuel pressure issues TG addressed.. can be Permanently eliminated. Mine were.

Last edited:

aaklingler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys fix the dead end problem in the head? I've seen riffraff diesel has a kit for that. Anybody know anything about it?

dpantazis

Reaction score
that kit makes no sense- there is not supposed to be any air in the system! and where do they get it 'out' at?

imho- the price for the kit is not worth it, you could do most of a regulated return for that price.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl