How to upgrade 7.3 fuel system?

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, pardon my (newb) question but I'm curious. What gains do we get from upgrading the fuel system? Are we talking HP or just a healthier system? Educate me :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, pardon my (newb) question but I'm curious. What gains do we get from upgrading the fuel system? Are we talking HP or just a healthier system? Educate me :)

Both.. so to speak. Air in fuel robs available efficiency by creating inconsistent fuel pressure. Ideally.. in our fuel injection systems.. 100% pure fuel, at a constant pressure is what our injectors need... An on spec spray pattern= on spec combustion= on spec efficiency= power.

AIR, mixed in the fuel, degrades all that.

Joe

Last edited:

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about ready to tackle the fuel line mod's, but what is the FPR and how do I go about shimming it? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and do my own wrenching on all of my toys, but I'm just not a diesel mechanic so please excuse the newbie question. Is there a step by step somewhere that I can refer to?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about ready to tackle the fuel line mod's, but what is the FPR and how do I go about shimming it? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and do my own wrenching on all of my toys, but I'm just not a diesel mechanic so please excuse the newbie question. Is there a step by step somewhere that I can refer to?

I found a pretty good write up with pics on another forum. Before you do this, I suggest getting the gasket for the compression sleeve as it is probably deteriorated (found that out the hard way). You can check out my photobucket link in my sig and check out pics of my FPR shim.

Lay a paper towel under the area you will be working so you dont lose anything that you WILL drop. You will need a torx bit set (size?), wrench, small screw, and a dab of grease. If you dont have a fuel gauge already installed you can do what I did. You can connect a tube where the fuel bowl drain valve drains from...tube coming down the passenger side of the engine. Attach a gauge at the other end and secure each end with a worm gear hose clamp. I think the hose size neede is 5/8" IIRC.

Need to take the brass compression sleeve off and then start loosening the 2 torx bit screws. The spring is pushing out so just be careful not to let it pop the screws out. Once you get all that disconnected you can pull the line out of the way and secure it with a bungee cord. Take the small screw with some grease dabbed onto the threads. This helps hold it in the end of the spring when you are putting it back together. **First time I did this I built up 90psi before the line on the fuel bowl drain valve blew off...scared me:eek:** Put everything back together, make sure the screw is not catching the sides of where it sits....needs to be centered. With the fuel gauge rigged up, have someone turn the key over to where you hear the pump and watch the fuel gauge. From there you can dremel the head of the screw to adjust the fuel pressure.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the RV in Paso Robles, Ca but.....

I'm about ready to tackle the fuel line mod's, but what is the FPR(Fuel Pressure Regulator) and how do I go about shimming it?(with #4 SS washers*) I'm pretty mechanically inclined and do my own wrenching on all of my toys, but I'm just not a diesel mechanic so please excuse the newbie question. Is there a step by step somewhere that I can refer to?

As dp sez.. there's a DIY, with all the tools and parts needed, in the WIKI. The pics are gone but the narrative is still accurate. Take your time, be clean 'bout yer work.. 1 hour Mod.. with very good results.

Joe

*Some use a BB, the #4 SS washers is IMO, preferred but.. Yer call.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As dp sez.. there's a DIY, with all the tools and parts needed, in the WIKI. The pics are gone but the narrative is still accurate. Take your time, be clean 'bout yer work.. 1 hour Mod.. with very good results.

Joe

*Some use a BB, the #4 SS washers is IMO, preferred but.. Yer call.

Yep....For some reason I was thinking that this was the article that had the wrong info under it. I had a couple of small machine screw laying around at work that I used./ You can use my pics of the FPR shim in my sig.

Never mind...though I had the pics uploaded. Make sure you dont tighten the screws or compression sleeve down too tight....just snug it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl