Question How would you rate Performance & Reliability of 6.0 Powerstoke to Cummins, Duramax

gabalong

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the message board, and a new Diesel Owner. Got a 2007 F250 Lariat 6.0 Powerstroke a few weeks ago. So far i am very impressed with the performance, quality, and fuel efficiency of the truck.

Was just curious how other more knowledgeable Diesel owners would rate the Ford 6.0 Powerstroke engine performance and reliability compared to the competitors cummins and duramax engines. Was the 6.0 Ford a good choice?

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD...

I would say it definitely depends on how well you treat your truck, how you drive it and maintence. The 6.0 is a great motor if you use it the way it was intended to be used... I know the cummins motors have signifcantly better power numbers for the same buck but that doesn't matter unless you are planning on racing someone for doing pulling competitions or something like that... I don't know too much about the 6.6 duramaxs but i have a buddy that loves his.. I think the allison tranny is definitely the best of the factory options from the big 3... and the motor is supposedly pretty good...

all in all I don't think you'll be disappointed in your 6.0... if you plan on throwing lots of power at it then you might wanna consider some ARP head studs as the 6.0s are known for head gasket failures.. other than that they are pretty reliable...

like i said before if you take care of it.. it will be a very reliable truck for many years..

good luck with your truck and welcome to sdd.com... lots of people know lots of info around here..

gabalong

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks for reply, i enjoy seeing others comments

Thanks Strokepower, I will mainly be using it for daily transportation, with some towing of a light trailer. Will probably leave pretty much stock, has plenty of power for my usage.

gabalong

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i think the 3 engines are on a level playing field in my honest opinion. for those year trucks i think its the truck and price that makes the ford a better choice.

if i had to choose between the cummins and isuzu engine, i would definatly go with isuzu. unfortunately that one comes with a bowtie and a hefty price tag!!!

92F350CC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I thought the Ford was the most expensive. Nonetheless, I still like it the best.

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.0 reliabilty

Keep up with the routine maintenance - regular oil changes( synthetic if you can afford) filter changes, drain the HFCM regularly, think about a FS or Amsoil bypass oil filter system, and the engine will be very reliable. Stock power is also great for reliability, too many people out there giving the 6.0 a bad name when their engine blows because they are putting more time and money into performance mods without keeping up on routine maintenance.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
I thought the Ford was the most expensive. Nonetheless, I still like it the best.

not counting prices "right now" because the economy is making dealers do silly things, but usually around here in CT the ford is cheapest, then dodge, then chebby.

right now....i think there is still a dodge dealer sale that is "buy one truck get one neon free"!

banyon

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have alot of buddy`s with Fords. It seems to me the 05 & newer 6.0`s are pretty good engines if left stock & you use common sense with it. I wouldn`t be afraid of an 07 at all even with light mods. Just my &.02

gabalong

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
New member Gabalong says Thanks for all the comments

Enjoy reading all the comments, I do plan to keep up with the maintenance and hope the 2007 F250 has a long and trouble free life.

Hey does anyone know what brands of Replacement Tires are available for the 20" Rims ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58