Question How would you rate Performance & Reliability of 6.0 Powerstoke to Cummins, Duramax

rhack

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an 06. Like you, use for daily transportation and towing a light trailer. Trailer is about 9500lbs. I keep up on basic maintenance at the dealers. Have only 26K miles on it. Thus far truck has treated me well in return. Fuel consumption isn't too bad when you consider the beast under the hood. IF the trip computer is accurate, when running long drives on interstate without towing I average 24mpg; pretty amazing. Only thing I don't like, is the engine noise in comparison to the duramax.

mwalls54

Tex
Reaction score
well i have had mine going on 3 years and 87k miles. Its getting ready to go in the shop in the next few weeks for a slipping tranny. I dont tow very often but when i do its a 10klb trailer on 1400 one way trips. I have never seen anything better than 16 mpga and 12mpg towing. After driving a cummings, dmax and having this for 3 years my next truck will be a dmax. When it comes to a dd/work/tow truck i am not loyal to any of the big 3.

sawed off

Party like a rockstar
Reaction score
Enjoy reading all the comments, I do plan to keep up with the maintenance and hope the 2007 F250 has a long and trouble free life.

Hey does anyone know what brands of Replacement Tires are available for the 20" Rims ?

Toyo makes some, thats what I got.

shelby69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
tranny - ford needs to catch up

Ford's trannys are notorious for saying bye bye around 130K. I have a contact which both his E350 powerstoke van and F250 7.3 tranny let go with in 10K miles of each other. He doesn't pull any where near what both are designed for.

Engines - When I was in the market for a diesel truck for a tow vehicle, I talked with a service manager in TX and her, yes her, statement was "I replace 5, 6.0L engines per week, rarely do I replace a 7.3L. The 7.3L is bullet proof!". I have heard comments from owners that went from the 7.3 to the 6.0 and tried figuring out how to shove a 7.3 in their newer trucks. One guy had enough and went to a duraminimum. In my opinion, the 5.9L cummins is hard to beat for relaibility, power, & fuel economy.

With respect to engines, keep in mind that the 5.9L is used in 26 to 30K lb capacity trucks where as the international ford engine and isuzu duramax is in medium duty trucks but nothing to the size that dodge puts the 5.9 or now the 6.7 into. Hard to argue that point.

Drive train - If you want comfort, buy a chevy / gmc due to the independent front end. The chevy is at least 1000lbs lighter than a dodge. If you want a "TRUCK" with a strong front end, buy a dodge or ford with a solid front end. I think ford still uses a solid front end. A friend (the one who sold his 6.0L due to engine issues) just bought a 50K duramax 2500HD crew 4x4 with a long bed. Goes to pick up the truck and askes the dealer to swap his snow plow quick connect from the ford to the GMC and the dealer says "you can't put a 9ft plow on this truck". This owner of a construction company had some pretty choice words for the dealer. A 50K$$ truck and I can not even plow with it?!?!?. Dealer said he would be over the gvwr of the truck with the plow.

Most of us will never put these trucks thru the stress that a construction company will therefore we do not experience the issues that they do.

Just my two cents.

92F350CC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The statement about the Ford tranny is pretty uninformed. Yes, the 4R100 had problems. But guess what?! That was a 7.3 transmission. They replaced it with a 5 speed for the 6.0, it's the 5R110 now(or Torqshift). This transmission is a LOT stronger than the old one, and will compete with the Allison. In fact, people with 6.4's are running 500+ hp on STOCK 5R110's.

The 5.9 cummins(pre 03) is a pretty decent motor, I'll give you that. The new 6.7 is a pile of junk. Eats turbos and DPF's like crazy.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
as for the trannies, proper maintenance is what keeps the ford going. let it run on burnt fluid and you are running on borrowed time, regardless of what model...AOD, E4OD, 4R100 or 5R110.

92F350CC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Um, that goes for all automatic transmissions...............
And Chevies aren't bulletproof. I blew out the 4L60E in my 1500 a few years back, driving it gently and taking good care of it. And don't get me started on Dodge trannies.

Eh, who cares anyway, I like stick more than any auto. My current 92 F350(gasser) has a ZF5 with 170,000 very rough miles on it(needs clutch soon though) and my last rig, 86 F250 6.9 had a T19. Real trucks have 2 sticks!

Last edited:

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5R110 is 10X the trans that the 4R100 is. I have never even got a call for a replacement 5R110. I have driven chevys and dodges and in my opinon ford is the best built truck. the chevys have that junk independent front susp. and seem to burn up power window switches and the dodges have the structural integrity of a soda can. Just my 2 cents

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58