HPOP R&R

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
I just won a NEW SD HPOP on ebay... Part Number: F81Z-9A543-CRM

I am have dealt with this piece of the motor before but as I understand it from previous posts it is a completely bolt on, no mod necessary part...Does anyone know of any write ups on taking the old off and putting the new on??

:thanks
Casey

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
dont know of any write ups but it is very simple.

you will need a ratchet,couple extensions,3"and 6"

8MM,10MM,13MM, and 18MM sockets.11/16(17MM) wrench,5/8(16MM) wrench,9/16(14MM)wrench.staraight screw driver.

you need to remove the fuel bowl.undue the fuel lines.the reurn lines on the regulator are 9/16(14MM) wrench.there are 2 lines to the fuel pump with normal hose clamps on the rear of the bowl.there are 2 bolts on the bottom rear of the bowl,these are 13MM socket.remove the bowl.

now remove the oil lines on the HPOP.there are 11/16 or 5/8 wrench.on the front of the motor above the water pump is a cover with 2 8MM bolts holding i on.remove that cover.the exhaust back pressure sensor may or may not be bolted to this cover.if it is you need to remove that also.dont know what size you need for it as i took a sawsall to mine :D behind that cover is the bolt for the HPOP gear.it is 18MM.remove the bolt and washer.if the washer falls off dont worry it cant go any where.just fish it out of the hole.

now you either need to drain the reservoir or get 2 drain buckets.i use the 2 bucket setup.put one bucket under the front of the motor sorta under the lower radiator hose.put the 2nd bucket under the passenger side of the bell housing.

the are 2 10MM bolts holding the HPOP on.1 short one on the passengers side and a long one on the drivers side.remove these.and pull the hpop out.

now you just need to swap the fitting from your pump to the new pump.some say you cant run the SD IPR.but i have been running one on my 95 for almost a year with no issues.

reinstallation is the reverse of these instructions.make sure the HPOP gear is seated on the shaft completely and tighten the bolt good and tight.be carefull tightening the HPOP bolts as you may strip the timing cover.unplug the 4 valve cover plugs and crankl it over a few times to get oil up to the reservoir and into the HPOP.you could also fill the reservoir with fresh oil if you wish.

check these 2 threads out.some of the pictures may be of some help to you

http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4833

http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4786

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Excellent...thanks so much for the instructions...I guess the other thing I need to know is, is there anything else I am going to need that I should get ahead of time?? Something that is on mine that wont fit on the new one? Like a gasket for example....

Thanks again,
Casey

ryanPSD

Living in Kallynogunforya
Reaction score
Rich got it pretty good, I'm sure he knows that process by heart now. :D

I heard to use the SD IPR but that either should work. I got my pump used with an IPR on it so I didn't even touch that part of it.

Personally I'd recommend draining the reservoir... I tried to siphon mine out (didn't have any kind of pump that would work) and it took forrrrrrreeeeeeevvvvvvvvvveerr so I eventually gave up waiting, pulled the pump and made a big mess. :D

When I removed the shaft bolt under that little cover it was tight enough that it actually started just turning over the engine. You may want someone to get underneath and hold the crank pulley with a wrench or socket (I forget the size, something big like 1"?)

The torque for this putting it back on is 95lb/ft, which I remember was more than it took to turn over the engine so again you may want someone underneath holding the crank (what I did). I've also heard it's plenty tight enough if you just pull on it 'til it starts to turn anyways.

Torque for the mounting bolts holding the pump to the front cover is 20lb/ft.

It's not a bad job at all, removing the fuel bowl was the most intimidating part for me (first time).

Your gasket should be the same so you can simply reuse it, which shouldn't be a problem. It's probably worth the $17 for a new one from the stealership just for the peace of mind of having a new one in there though. I reused the used one that I got with my pump without issue. I later found oil leaking from somewhere so I got a new gasket to put in but never got around to it, the leak turned out to be a loose plug on one of the HPO rails. :sweet

I've been leak free since and that gasket is just sitting around now so it's yours if you want a fresh one, drop me a PM or something. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14