Hub needle bearing

sbiggi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My truck started making a very loud grinding squeeling noise last night.

It would come and go when going over bumps or cracks in the road. If I put it in 4wd it goes away. I just tried locking the hub and it seems it went away.

Does that indicate its the needle bearing like on this site? Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

My brother needs my truck to take up hunting in 5 days, any help appreciated!

-Seth

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've replaced several hubs and the needle bearings were all good.....it's the main bearings that typically fail. If it has much more than 100k (since it's an '03, I'm guessing that it does), plan on replacing the entire hub and also the seal. You can't get the seal out without destroying it.

sbiggi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well that sucks.

Is there any real difference between the hubs being sold at the autopart stores when it list course thread vs fine threaded studs?

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
coarse thread was thru 2002, 03 up fine thread. Just would use different lug nuts.
if it goes away with locked hubs, it very well may be the needle bearings ford part number
c6tz3123a
napa number b-2110
RockAuto Auto Parts has them cheap.

Last edited:

sbiggi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well the needle bearing was seized and was making the noise, but the wheel bearing was also toast.

Looks like the previous owner also did something to it as the seal plate on the stub shaft was f'd up and the plastic thrust washer was not in there.

I reaplced the hub with the $115 prostop unit from pepboys and just hit out and swapped the wheel studs off my old hub. I'll get a new axle stub soon and fix that and all the vacumm seals for the 4x4.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem a couple of months ago in the front driver side (needle bearings, not wheel bearings). I actually replaced the wheel bearings about a mnth before thinking that was the issue with the vibrations. It would do fine untill I ht a bump, then the whole truck felt like it was in a giant paint shaker. The shop I took it too replaced the needle bearings with a cheve brand (said they lasted longer:dunno) and had to replace the left axle for $600. Total bill was about $1300.

sbiggi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem a couple of months ago in the front driver side (needle bearings, not wheel bearings). I actually replaced the wheel bearings about a mnth before thinking that was the issue with the vibrations. It would do fine untill I ht a bump, then the whole truck felt like it was in a giant paint shaker. The shop I took it too replaced the needle bearings with a cheve brand (said they lasted longer:dunno) and had to replace the left axle for $600. Total bill was about $1300.

Ouch, I'd never pay some one to fix my vehicles. Its real easy to pull the hub, a total of 4 nuts and 2 bolts have to be taken off.

I get a discount at pepboys, so I spent $98 so far. I'm sure the dealer will rape me for the stub shaft, but I'll look online first for the part.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch, I'd never pay some one to fix my vehicles. Its real easy to pull the hub, a total of 4 nuts and 2 bolts have to be taken off.

I get a discount at pepboys, so I spent $98 so far. I'm sure the dealer will rape me for the stub shaft, but I'll look online first for the part.

Well I asked around, and it wasnt just the hub that had to come off (I've taken it off myself a couple of times). They had to go into the differential (had metal shavings in the fluid) and I'm not sure what all they had to do to get the axle out. Labor cost was actually pretty reasonable for an all day job, I was pleased.

When you say "stub" shaft....are you talking about a 2 piece axle? The dealer at first thought my front left axle was a 2 piece part....but wound up being one solid axle.

sbiggi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I asked around, and it wasnt just the hub that had to come off (I've taken it off myself a couple of times). They had to go into the differential (had metal shavings in the fluid) and I'm not sure what all they had to do to get the axle out. Labor cost was actually pretty reasonable for an all day job, I was pleased.

When you say "stub" shaft....are you talking about a 2 piece axle? The dealer at first thought my front left axle was a 2 piece part....but wound up being one solid axle.

Sorry, outer axle shaft. You just pull it out and take the u joint apart and replace the outer section of the axle shaft. The dealer here wants $200 for it :(

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, outer axle shaft. You just pull it out and take the u joint apart and replace the outer section of the axle shaft. The dealer here wants $200 for it :(

That beats paying $600 any day. That was on the passenger side?

If mine was a 2 piece axle I probably would have attempted the repair. But being a solid axle all the way from the spindles into the differential....I'll pay someone that has the right set-up for the job.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58