i have a turbo question??????????

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
took my truck upto the dealer today and got one of the techs to ride down the road with me. i started hearing a squeeling sound 2 days ago, when you would accelerate.

at first it sounded like maybe the exhaust was rubbing against something, but checked it out the morning and everything was tight, good clearance around all the close areas.

well, as we were goin down the road, he heard the squeelin, thought maybe the belt was goin bad, (original belt still on after 137,000 miles), but the squeelin got louder and louder.

then he said, "stephen, that dont sound good" and i said WHAT?

"i think your turbo is squeeling and fixin to go out before long.

so we pulled back into the dealer and got the head diesel tech to listen.

i put it in gear and applied the brake and just revved it up, the squeelin continued.

the diesel tech confirmed, he thought the turbo was about to go to.

what do ya'll think? anybody else ever had a squeelin turbo?

if it is the turbo goin out, what do ya'll suggest as far as a replacement, that would perform well with the mods i have done?

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
if it is the turbo goin out, what do ya'll suggest as far as a replacement, that would perform well with the mods i have done?

by that question, are you lookin at an aftermarket? is this your 1st turbo replacement? the new upgraded ones are pretty sweet...

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am replacing my factory turbo when I install my new stage 2 injectors. I am going to go with the Garrett GTP38R ball bearing turbo it seems like the best bang for the buck.

bigdiesel99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bama, the factory turbo will be your best option unless you have some deep pockets, and some down time, if you are wanting lower egts better performance and have no problem dropping 4G's i would recomend the Aroura 5000 or posiblly the 3000 if bigger injectors are not in the future i put one a buddies truck (the 5000) and it was not all that difficult but it performs very well... no lag and peak pressures of 40 psi pretty easily with the right tuning and right sized Injectors it could probally put 500+ horse to the ground... Isnt your factory setup still under warranty?

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
bama, the factory turbo will be your best option unless you have some deep pockets, and some down time, if you are wanting lower egts better performance and have no problem dropping 4G's i would recomend the Aroura 5000 or posiblly the 3000 if bigger injectors are not in the future i put one a buddies truck (the 5000) and it was not all that difficult but it performs very well... no lag and peak pressures of 40 psi pretty easily with the right tuning and right sized Injectors it could probally put 500+ horse to the ground... Isnt your factory setup still under warranty?

im not lookin to do bigger injectors or anything like that. my pockets aint deep.

i asked about the upgraded turbo. they told me that it would be the same turbo that they take out, but the PCM could be reflashed.

is a PCM reflashing the "upgrade" that ya'll are talkin about

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you having your work done the dealer? How is reflashing the pcm going to effect the turbo?

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Myself I can't see how reflashing the pcm is going to do anything unless they are doing an update/recall to your computer. The only reason I suggested the garrett gtp38r is that it is ball bearing and it has a little bit bigger housing and compressor wheel which results in quicker spool-up and less chance of compressor surge. For around an extra 500 bucks (vs stock) it is worth it.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Myself I can't see how reflashing the pcm is going to do anything unless they are doing an update/recall to your computer. The only reason I suggested the garrett gtp38r is that it is ball bearing and it has a little bit bigger housing and compressor wheel which results in quicker spool-up and less chance of compressor surge. For around an extra 500 bucks (vs stock) it is worth it.

will it work on the 6.0, i was told that it would not

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if the garrett gtp38r turbo will work on your truck I forgot that you are running a 6.0 I would still with an upgraded turbo though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl