i have a turbo question??????????

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
give us the updates. what is the 'upgrade' as we were discussing. did you find out?

hey red, i gave him the part # you gave me last night, he said it was an '03 turbo part#, and the diff. was it would give about 10HP more, but he said he couldn't get that turbo.

i guess the updated part on the '04 turbo would be better/maybe larger ball bearings, he said it was stronger.

i have taken off the intake and have the wheel and inlet exposed. i can move the wheel around (he said it would have some play), but can't really tell if its scrubing the housing wall. (i did btw, crank it up after removing all the air intake stuff, and it still squeels between 2,000 & 3,000 rpm's.

its so close in there, no room to do anything.

im gonna do some more lookin at it tomorrow.

and thanks for the good wishes dave.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
another update

well, i couldn't wait no longer. i live about an half mile from another auto transport business, that we are good friends with. they have some very good diesel mechanics, that have worked on our trucks several times.

i got one of their mech. to come out and look at my turbo. now remember, i have no knowledge on this stuff, so please dont laugh about what he told me, i had no idea, so it was a good learning opp. for me.

he said, first off, there should be no oil around the inlet of the turbo, well, mine has oil showin up. he said the seals are beginning to let loose. he could not detect any scrubbing of the wheel against the housing, but he did feel that it had more play than normal.

he basically said, changed it now, of it could really cause some major problems and costly repairs.

so, i will be takin off the old turbo tomorrow to take it tuesday to henager, al, and exchange it for a brand new stocker.

thanks to all that have helped me with this.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
...he said, first off, there should be no oil around the inlet of the turbo, well, mine has oil showin up. he said the seals are beginning to let loose...

Well that's not entirely true. I'm not that familiar with the 6oh but I would think they have a crankcase vent that goes into the intake tract. I know my used 6L intercooler had some oil in it and it had very few thousand miles on it. The CCV will put oil vapors into the intake tract and you will have some oil residue in there. That's what causes your boots to get oily.

But if you have a bad oil consumption problem then maybe it's the seals. Up and down play is okay to an extent, that just oil clearance. In and out play is what's bad since that would be thrust bearing wear.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Well that's not entirely true. I'm not that familiar with the 6oh but I would think they have a crankcase vent that goes into the intake tract. I know my used 6L intercooler had some oil in it and it had very few thousand miles on it. The CCV will put oil vapors into the intake tract and you will have some oil residue in there. That's what causes your boots to get oily.

But if you have a bad oil consumption problem then maybe it's the seals. Up and down play is okay to an extent, that just oil clearance. In and out play is what's bad since that would be thrust bearing wear.

rooster, you may be right, i really dont know. i think the turbo is bad tho, gonna go ahead and changed it out, before the big bang happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl