I need all the input I can get!

ejpowerstroke97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for so many question:1. I don't see any of yall running Banks stuff. From magazines I thought Banks was the one to get? 2. I am currently looking into a 6 position chip and I was wondering whta guys would be the best to purchase from. I am thinking of doing the 20, 40, 60, 80, high idle & stock. Tell me what yall think.3. I am also running the Banks quick turbo housing and I was wondering if it would work with all of the 6 different programs with a new chip. 4. I also have the Banks transcommand, would this alsoc work with the chip. Sorry don't mean to ask so many questions but you guys seem to be the GODS of PSDs. Thanks for all of the help and info.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
we dont run the banks stuff cuz its overpriced junk.

before you do any of this make sure you get a 3"downpipe or full 4"exhaust from the turbo back and gauges,tranny temp,pyro and boost gauges!!!!!!!!

give ryan bean a call. www.beansdieselperformance.com .he has some sweet programs for our trucks.great guy to chat trucks with and over excellent customer service!he also has gauges and exhaust systems.or get in touch with Twildman he writes some of the programs that bean has and his programs ROCK!!!!i dont have wildmans number but i think his email is [email protected] .you may need to get rid of the trans command as the chip programming wil have all the tranny programming you will need and will be much better than the trans command.you shouldbe OK with the turbo housing untill you get the bug for more power and upgrade to bigger injectors,then you will need to put your stock housing back on it.

dont worry about asking so many questions and yes we are the PSD power gods.:sweet

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
banks did their research long ago many of the vendors and the products we are running are equal to (less cost) or better (still less cost) than what banks has to offer. The only thing that banks makes for our trucks that I would consider is their intercooler setup & piping setup, though the 6.0 IC retrofit gives you a larger cooler if I'm not mistaken leaving me with only liking the tubing kit from banks. Personally I have a '99 ic & intake spyder that'll be going on my truck simply because I got a steal of a deal on them and will use the tubing kit from gts motorsports.

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
I'll second rich's advice. I'm no expert but do alot of reading online and Ryan and Tony came highly recommended. I use them both and have nothing but good things to say about them. Same goes for Brians truck shop when it comes time for a tranny. If your gonna do it take the time, do the research and make sure you do it right or you'll just end up spending more money getting it right. I also hear Dale at Tymar is great to work with.
6.0 intercooler with gts pipe kit seems to be the consensus for an affordable IC setup.

Alan

ejpowerstroke97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem is that I can't afford an intercooler that is why I want to use a 4 or 6 pos chip so that I am not running the high hp chip all the time and I really want the high idle because my truck is really cold natured.

ejpowerstroke97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and I do have the 3" downpipe with factory straight exhaust. I also have the boost, pyro, and tranny gauges. and I also have the factory air filter box with a K&N filter

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok with the info you've stated. Factory striaght exhaust doesn't exist they all had a cat & muffler. the muffler is acceptable the cat should puke it's guts to help egt's & quicker spool. the turbo housing (.84 a/r) will help you build boost faster though it will also creates a restriction for high end power be sure to tell your chip programmer you have one and they can use that info in recommending a program.

a flip chip from tony or dp tuner will be great w/ stock injectors power levels aren't such a wide range that you need more than 3 or 4 positions including your high idle.

The cold natured problem can prob be fixed with some service to the gp system.

The K&N isn't good b/c of the poor sealing nature of the factory airbox. look into a homemade intake or one from tymar performance.

Looking long term either you can get a flip chip or an intercooler both will allow you to run whatever you want right now with stock injectors. the IC will lower your egt's enough that you'll be able to run w/ the stock injectors maxed out (your big hoss chip) (other programmers can give same/more power w/ lower egt) the inexpensive intercooler option is any superduty intercooler 7.3 or 6.0 and a kit from www.gtsmotorsports.com for the tubing & intake.

the banks transcommand will be comapatable with a chip but you'll need custom programming. most of us prefer internal upgrades (transgo or sonnax &tricumulator springs) to take care of the trans as they are direct fixes.

ejpowerstroke97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I am not sure what the gp system is. Also what is the IC. I don't want to sound like a dummy but all of these abbreviations are new to me. And what I meant is that it is the factory exhaust without cat and muffler. I am curious about the homeade intake. Once again guys thank you for all of the info and keep it coming.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Are you towing heavy loads and do you plan on going with larger injectors? I dont see any need for an intercooler at this point, do any of the rest of you guys?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl