I Saw Some Nice WWII Planes Today

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today at the Collin County Regional Airport in McKinney, Texas, I saw three WWII planes: P-51 Mustang (the only flight ready P-51 remaining), B-24 Liberator, and B-17. Also got to walk through the B-24 and B-17. The group sponsoring the event also would let you ride in all of them. The price was $425.00 for the B-24 and B-17, and I heard that someone paid $2200 to ride in the P-51, which took off while we were there and landed as we were leaving (about 15-20 minutes later). Here's an article that was in a local paper last week advertising the event:
Star Local News > Mckinney Courier-gazette > News > Bombers away!: Wings of Freedom tour of classic WWII aircraft lands at CCRA next week
This was sponsored by the Collings Foundation, and they will be at Love Field in Dallas over the weekend. The complete schedule is here: Wings of Freedom Schedule - The Collings Foundation

They were supposed to have a Huey there, but it was broken down and couldn't make the trip.

Last edited:

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were in Hattiesburg about an hour from home a couple of weeks ago. The news had a big spread on the planes and the pilots as well as interviews with a few prople that paid the fees to take a ride.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were in Hattiesburg about an hour from home a couple of weeks ago. The news had a big spread on the planes and the pilots as well as interviews with a few prople that paid the fees to take a ride.

Yes, the tour is headed west. I think it will eventually be in Arizona. There are some "tight spaces" in those planes. I can't even imagine how it would be when they were in flight.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Today at the Collin County Regional Airport in McKinney, Texas, I saw three WWII planes: P-51 Mustang (the only flight ready P-51 remaining), B-24 Liberator, and B-17. Also got to walk through the B-24 and B-17. The group sponsoring the event also would let you ride in all of them. The price was $425.00 for the B-24 and B-17, and I heard that someone paid $2200 to ride in the P-51, which took off while we were there and landed as we were leaving (about 15-20 minutes later). Here's an article that was in a local paper last week advertising the event:
Star Local News > Mckinney Courier-gazette > News > Bombers away!: Wings of Freedom tour of classic WWII aircraft lands at CCRA next week
This was sponsored by the Collings Foundation, and they will be at Love Field in Dallas over the weekend. The complete schedule is here: Wings of Freedom Schedule - The Collings Foundation

They were supposed to have a Huey there, but it was broken down and couldn't make the trip.

I thought there were more p51's than that still flying? Atleast I see them on tv shows it seems. And they all have different paint schemes so there cant be only 1 still out there right?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought there were more p51's than that still flying? Atleast I see them on tv shows it seems. And they all have different paint schemes so there cant be only 1 still out there right?

I don't know but that's what this group states.

When I worked for the DON, the "WAR BIRDS" had to do a yearly "Fly In", to re-certify/qualify to fly in formation with the Navy F-18's.. during the upcoming Air Show season.

;)I got to know many of the Owners, Operators and Pilots. When they say the P-51, B-17, S-2.. and so on.. is the ONLY one left that is Air Worthy.. you need to understand.. the One they are talking about is the ONLY one of that Type, Series, Lot, Model, Engine type, Configuration, Design modification.. on and on. There are more.. Just NOT exactly like thiers.

But thats Okay.... They have EVERY RIGHT, to Brag about their Aircraft.. Any Way They Want To. The money it costs, to keep those 'ol Birds air worthy is Phenomenal.. Not to mention the TLC and Personal Pride.. Each & Every one of the Pilots, Ground Crew and Staff has in those Aircraft.

It was an Honor and a Privilege, for US Guys to Service those "'Ol War Birds"

Joe

One "Ol Grey Eagle (pilot) actually flew the (F4U, IIRC) he was flying, In Combat, off an Aircraft Carrier in WWII, in the Pacific.. Had copies of the Flight Logs.. by BUNO to prove it too :eek::sweet

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wander if thats the P-51 Mustang that flies around here. There is one that is at Polk city.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You sound like you know planes and pilots pretty well Big Joe. I have a pilots license, bu t I have not flown in over 20 years. I find this subject to be very interesting.

Dave :)

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know of a couple of other airworthy P-51's

One is hangered at the Mt Comfort (just renamed to Indianapolis Regional) Airport.

Another is at the Vermillion County (Danville, Illinois) Airport.

I have personally see both of them fly. I am not sure the specs for each plane. I just know they are P-51's and beautiful birds to see soaring in the sky.

I have also seen a B-17G. The "Sentimenal Journey". I was able to do a walk-around it one day, and they told us they were leaving the next at XX:XX time and that we were welcome to come back and "see them off"

That was an amaizing sight to see. It took the entire runway to lift-off. Another amaizing bird to see fly!!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sound like you know planes and pilots pretty well Big Joe. I have a pilots license, bu t I have not flown in over 20 years. I find this subject to be very interesting.

Dave :)

25 years in the Aircraft Fuel bidness, at an NAS Dave. I think I've refueled/defueled and oiled, just about all of'm, Foriegn & Domestic, Fixed & Rotory wing, Old & New. 20 "Air Shows" will exspose you to that.

NO Blimps though :lmao. Never "Passed Gas" to a Blimp. ;):lmao

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14