I think I murdered my truck, HELP!! PLEASE

johnsonkcng

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I got off of work the other morning and went to start my truck(99 F-450). The wait to start light came on as usual. after it went off the truck would not start, just turned over without firing. This has happened in the past and I figured it was the "glow plug solenoid". In order to make it home I decided to jump the two large posts on the solenoid. This has worked in the past without problem, however this time it being dark outside I accidentally shorted the big hot wire to the small red wire on the small post. Now I have no wait to start light. Truck will not start. I Checked all fusses with voltmeter on the tabs with switch on and found fuses to be good but no juice to fuse 16 & 20 under dash. All fuses under hood chcked good. I switched around all the relays, but still nothing, no wts light, motor just spins without firing. Any ideas. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ken

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got off of work the other morning and went to start my truck(99 F-450). The wait to start light came on as usual. after it went off the truck would not start, just turned over without firing. This has happened in the past and I figured it was the "glow plug solenoid". In order to make it home I decided to jump the two large posts on the solenoid. This has worked in the past without problem, however this time it being dark outside I accidentally shorted the big hot wire to the small red wire on the small post. Now I have no wait to start light. Truck will not start. I Checked all fusses with voltmeter on the tabs with switch on and found fuses to be good but no juice to fuse 16 & 20 under dash. All fuses under hood chcked good. I switched around all the relays, but still nothing, no wts light, motor just spins without firing. Any ideas. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ken

Don't know the steps to take in this situation but if it WAS ME....I'd check and make sure the voltage is getting to the fuel pump and take the lid off the filter bowl and make sure there is fuel in there. It may be the idm. have a diagnostic computer hooked up to it and see if it can give you some more info.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where is the obd port i can't find it under the dash, i have an old scanner i can try

Unless your check engine light is on, the old scanner wont work. Need to have a local mechanic that has a Snap-on diagnostic computer come out to the truck and hook it up. The port on mine (and should be on yours) is under the dash...just below the hvac controls.

johnsonkcng

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
found it, it was under the trailer brake. just read what you said about the scanner, after i hooked the obd up. i am getting E which I guess means error. I will check the fuel bowl.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You may have blown one of the Fuse Links that go from the Battery. These have a large bulb in the line from the + terminal of the battery. I don't know where fuses 16 & 20 go to.

Dave

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
no wait to start light and no CEL mean there's a fuse blown...
on the light duty's, it's the #30 fuse in the dash.. not sure about the med duty stuff..

I can tell you it's probably going to be a 30 amp and may not be a maxi-fuse under the hood

dpantazis

Reaction score
the PSD's have an extended range of diagnostic codes. not all readers have the additional info. look at the wiki for info-top right hand corner of any page here for links to it.

my money is on the fuses... the old guys here are purdy smart....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim