i want my turbo louder

jmanf250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
LOUDER

If you want LOUD.... ask my neighbors when i leave at 4:30 AM! You can hear the turbo wind down after you turn the truck off and the turbo whistles like no other.... all you need to do is run a 4" pipe from the turbo (including the downpipe) to where ever and NO CAT NO MUFFLER! I get HEADS A TURNIN! - DAILY

:notworthy

devinjuneau

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
silencer ring

i am confused about this silencer ring, where is it at, how does it get taken off. I figure i can get the turbo outta there, and do the machining, where is it, any write ups? Had a mustang cobra 04', so pretty knowlegeable with the forced induction thing.... just wanna hear the turbo a lil louder

WhiteWheelin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
a cop pulled beside me at a light and we both accelerated from the light and he pulled me over cus i have 4" mbrp straight piped no Cat. he asked me to turn the truck off so we could hear each other talk. needless to say a few other cops stopped to see if he needed assitance and right before he let me go one cop stopped and got out and the original cop asked him if he wanted to hear a nice exhaust system. so they walked to the back of my truck and he asked me to turn it on. i did they listened for about 30 seconds then told me to turn it off. Where i live a muffler is manditory so i got a warning. but when im out driving i purposely roll the back windows down in my truck so i can hear the turbo whislte like all hell and the exhaust sounds just like a big rig. listen to jmanf250 delete the cat and muffler and install a cold air intake and your truck will be pulling and pushing out more air then you could imagine and the whistle will blow your mind.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
i am confused about this silencer ring, where is it at, how does it get taken off. I figure i can get the turbo outta there, and do the machining, where is it, any write ups? Had a mustang cobra 04', so pretty knowlegeable with the forced induction thing.... just wanna hear the turbo a lil louder

It's the part where all my red lines are.

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why they got a silencer ring...looks like it would restrict air flo also !!!

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
If you want that Loud turbo whistle, swap the compressor wheel out for an 03 style wheel, or get an 03 turbo. It will be quite a bit louder than your 06 turbo.

actually the compressor wheel (intake side) does nothing for the exhaust note.. and it's not any different from his.

the turbine wheel on the other hand (exhaust side) makes a big difference..

the 06 turbo of his has a 15 blade turbine...
in 04 they only had a 13 blade turbine....

and the reason everyone want's an 03 turbo is because not only did the 03 turbine wheel only have 10 blades, but it was also 3mm larger than the newer year turbo's... but the 03 turbo pedestal is much different and should also be swapped.. it's possible to do w/out swapping pedestals, but you have to bolt it up differently..

but there is a bit more "lag" when using the 03 also, something to consider, but the egt's will also be lower..

remember guys, the compressor wheel/housing upgrades can supply more airflow to the motor, but it's the TURBINE side of the turbo that determines the lag (spool rpm) and exhaust note of the thing....

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
edit: forgot i posted this elsewhere, don't want to keep doing it :)

Last edited:

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
actually the compressor wheel (intake side) does nothing for the exhaust note.. and it's not any different from his.

the turbine wheel on the other hand (exhaust side) makes a big difference..

the 06 turbo of his has a 15 blade turbine...
in 04 they only had a 13 blade turbine....

and the reason everyone want's an 03 turbo is because not only did the 03 turbine wheel only have 10 blades, but it was also 3mm larger than the newer year turbo's... but the 03 turbo pedestal is much different and should also be swapped.. it's possible to do w/out swapping pedestals, but you have to bolt it up differently..

but there is a bit more "lag" when using the 03 also, something to consider, but the egt's will also be lower..

remember guys, the compressor wheel/housing upgrades can supply more airflow to the motor, but it's the TURBINE side of the turbo that determines the lag (spool rpm) and exhaust note of the thing....

Yes, I mistakingly said compressor wheel, not turbine wheel, it is the turbine wheel. Are you proud now Zeus?? Do you want a cookie??

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
no no man, i wasn't trying to bash you, i just wanted to make sure that someone who didn't know better didn't read this and get the wrong info...
my nonvgt 71 is actually quiter than the 03style vgtss was, but then youcan measure my turbo lag with a calender also !! good thing i got some bottle to spool the darn thing

nascar_fan28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah.. i always love hearing an 03 straight piped.. but most ppl around here who have 6.0s dont do any modding.. but an 03 will bring smile to anyones face..:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14