I want to quiet my beast down a bit

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've found myself in the unenviable position of having some "truck envy" and was hoping to get some advice off of you learned individuals.

The envy comes from my Dad's 06 Duramax. It is powerful, smooth, and QUIET.

The powerful and smooth thing I think I took care of with my performance mods, but the queit thing I am struggling with a bit.

SO, I need recommendations from you gents on how to quiet it up in the cab, since at 170K, the old girl is a noisy pig.

I'm thinking about the following...

1.) Regulated return kit and mess with the pressure for optimal quietness. How much difference will this make?

2.) an insulation kit of some sort. Any recommendations? undercoating of some sort? I have no experience with this stuff.

I've had cackle for the last 15 K or so, so I've been meaning to do the reg return anyway. But i don't think it will quiet it down enough to make a big difference. So insulation is the next best bet, i think.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've found myself in the unenviable position of having some "truck envy" and was hoping to get some advice off of you learned individuals.

The envy comes from my Dad's 06 Duramax. It is powerful, smooth, and QUIET.

The powerful and smooth thing I think I took care of with my performance mods, but the queit thing I am struggling with a bit.

SO, I need recommendations from you gents on how to quiet it up in the cab, since at 170K, the old girl is a noisy pig.

I'm thinking about the following...

1.) Regulated return kit and mess with the pressure for optimal quietness. How much difference will this make?

2.) an insulation kit of some sort. Any recommendations? undercoating of some sort? I have no experience with this stuff.

I've had cackle for the last 15 K or so, so I've been meaning to do the reg return anyway. But i don't think it will quiet it down enough to make a big difference. So insulation is the next best bet, i think.

Hoss, I know on my brother's 03 7.3 w/ 6 speed, he found a lot of the noise was coming up from around the shifter boot. He laid a good sized piece of ceramic insulation (we just happened to have some scraps laying around) and he says it quited it down in the cab quite a bit. Might be worth a try ;)

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 is fairly quiet. It has all the cab insulation on the firewall. It is quiet enough that I don't notice half the time that I have a 4" straight pipe tail pipe. LOL :D

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Hoss, I know on my brother's 03 7.3 w/ 6 speed, he found a lot of the noise was coming up from around the shifter boot. He laid a good sized piece of ceramic insulation (we just happened to have some scraps laying around) and he says it quited it down in the cab quite a bit. Might be worth a try ;)
I already packed the boot full of fiberglass batt to give this a shot. It did help, but I still have a bunch of noise down there, so maybe I'll give the ceramic a shot. THanks...

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already packed the boot full of fiberglass batt to give this a shot. It did help, but I still have a bunch of noise down there, so maybe I'll give the ceramic a shot. THanks...

A project I have planned for "one of those days" is pulling the interior out (again) and Dynamatting the beejeezus out of the cab floor. It's rather a large surface that resonates like crazy from all the road/drivetrain vibration so I figure that killing that vibration probably will quiet things a bit.

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoss,

Regulated fuel return gave me more smoothness and less cackle noise (I running @ 65 - 70 psi)

Sound insulation that I have used: Second Skin Audio. I removed all seats, rug, door panels for this app. I applied the 3 step process on their web site - Damplifier, Damplifer Pro and Overkill. I added the Motormat to the existing under hood inslation. My truck is a lot more quieter, as i can know have a normal conversation with my wife while driving w/o having to shout.

Sound Deadening Materials for Noise Reduction from Second Skin

Also I add 2 cups of the Powerservice cetane booster (grey bottle) and have noticed the engine is even more quiet than ever!!!

Butch Cassidy

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Don't know if you tried this yet Hoss but adding 2 cycle oil to my 7.3L quieted down the engine pretty good. Getting the fuel pressure into the 68-72 psi range will help for sure.

Reaction score
Hoss,

Have you tried the door seal mod? It's pretty cheap and easy!:sweet
I'm planning to Hushmat (or something like it) next. I've heard, as others have reported, that can make a huge difference!

Or, just install stacks and screw the sound!!:roflmao :roflmao

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14