I would like some advice/opinions

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum obviously, this isn't my first post as I did atleast introduce myself.. anyhow, I would like some opinions. I post over at SVT Performance a lot and I pretty much posted this over there, and they've helped me out a lot but I'd like some more opinions from Powerstroke Owners.

Let me start off by saying, this might be a lengthy book report post so try not to flame me too much, but I should be thorough. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and respond.

I currently own a mildy modded 01 Lightning, which is my nice weather/weekend toy; it's not always my garage queen. I have a 4x4 S10 that's my daily driver. For some time now I've been considering in trading in the S10 for a Powerstroke. The S10 is fairly new, and the mileage is about to roll over to 40,000.. so I figured, if I ever wanted to get anything for it, now would be the time since the price of gas, etc. etc. Speaking of gas, it gets OK gas mileage, not the best for a 4.3L (262ci) V6, about 15-18 if I'm lucky? Somewhere around there, never really calculated it out. One of my main reasons to considering a Powerstroke is to get back into having a Ford daily driver, I pretty much bleed the blue oval but I'm not naive enough or biased against other domestic manufacturers.

My reasoning is, most of my family has been with Ford for aslong as I can remember, and before my S10 I was driving an 86 Bronco 2.. which was alright to cruise around in, but I decided I wanted a small truck for a DD routines and went with the S10, and it's been a pretty good truck for over the three years I've owned it, unfortunately I replaced a lot of parts on the S10 including all four shocks, axle U-joints, Waterpump, CV Joint took a **** on me, factory oil cooler hoses started a small drip everyonce in a while. This does suck for having under 40 thousand miles, but I'm too meticulous even for a DD to let things go down hill, and let me honestly say I'm not abusive on it at all.

With gas prices being up there and the mileage I get on the S10, I've been really thinking that I could get myself a Powerstroke that has close to the MPG I'm getting in the S10 and be able to do more with it if the situation calls for it. I don't do any heavy hauling except occassionally, and towing, I don't tow anything for the most part. However, I could imagine it being a nice towrig too. :thumbs I already have to pay for 93 pump gas for the Lightning, so the price of diesel fuel (pretty close to 93 octane gas right?) has me scratching my head on the whole deal as well.

My budget wont be much more than $24 thousand, as I don't think I'll get over $9,000 on my S10 in a tradein. I don't think I'm going to privately sell my S10, not sure how much I'd get versus a dealer trade in. My S10 is for the most part stock, it's not modded in any way except for a catback exhaust, and some BFG All Terrains is pretty much as far as aftermarket I went on it, asside from some of the replacement parts I've thrown on were aftermarket (Ie. Rancho shocks).

I've read some information that some people don't like Ford's new 6.0 liter diesel, saying it has this problem, and that problem.. Go with the 7.3 liter. Alright, so what's the deal? You'll have to excuse my ignornace, as I have not really researched a lot on this yet. I was pretty much in the range for a 99-03 F250, leaning more towards the 7.3 from what I've read so far. Super Crew cab is out of the picture for me, but I'm considering standard cab short/long beds, Super Cabs with a short bed. It has to be 4 wheel drive, and be an automatic. Duallies are out of the picture too. What other transmissions came in Super Duties? I know the 4R100 is one of them, Lightnings have those in them. I was told don't be afraid of high mileage diesels, as in +70,000 as long it's been maintained well. I'd consider an F-350 with the same body configuration, I figured I don't really need the best of the best for payload and GVWR, so an F-250 will do me fine enough.

I found this picture of an F-350 on this forum, props to the guy who owns in. This is something that cetches my eye real good. I didn't know Ford had a standard cab F-350.
F350.jpg

I don't plan to go mod crazy on it. I'll probably have to throw in some gauges, and maybe an exhaust. That's about all I think I could afford even if I can do that much.

I have some helpful information already that isn't common sense stuff. I'm fairly mechanically inclined so diesel maintenance shouldn't be too hard for me to pick up on. I'm pretty overly critical on maintenance, etc. etc. of both of my trucks. I don't know anyone with a diesel, so thats why I have a few questions. I'm not planning on going to a dealerslot to sign any papers next week or anything, but within a few months I'll hopefully be driving a Powerstroke as I want to have some mod money for the Lightning.

What do you guys think if you were in my situation? I'm pretty fixed on a Powerstroke even though the popularity of Dodge's Cummins is up there a ways.

Last edited:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
oh ya and post/ask all you want,unlike a few other diesel sites you wont be flamed :sweet

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my opinion. I currently own a 2000 7.3 f-250, a 2001 7.3 excursion, a 2004 5.4 gasser (Don't ask how this got in here) and 2006 6.0 f-250 and 2006 f-550 6.0. None of them have given me any problems. I have a good friend that has an 03 6.0 and he has not had any problems with it. So go for what you can afford, and have fun, if this is what you think you need to do. I will tell you that we had an astro with a 4.3 before the excursion and they got the same mileage. I have no reason to down any of them.

Scott

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for advice guys! I appreciate it a lot.

I personally just want a bigger truck as a DD. Wanted to try and take a plunge into a diesel fullsize truck, just to try something new.

EDIT: Sorry for not searching, but I was kinda looking for more direct answers and advice pointing towards my situation. Im sure you've had more than one person around here like me.

Last edited:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
to give you the best advise we need you to be more specific as to what you expect from the truck,what you wanna do with the truck,what kind of power do you want or may want in the future,how big is your wallet(we love spending other peoples money:D )

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Lord Tauk said:
Speaking of gas, it gets OK gas mileage, not the best for a 4.3L (262ci) V6, about 15-18 if I'm lucky?

That's OK gas mileage? :confused: My '97 is my daily driver and gets 17-20 mpgs. I'm prejudiced to the OBS (old body style) as are many members on this site. Take your time and do your homework. With the high price of diesel fuel, there are many used ones available...OBS and Super Duties. Upgrading to a PSD was the best move I ever did. Glad you're about to take the step yourself. You won't regret it. BTW, welcome to the best PSD forum on the internet. :sweet

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Lord Tauk,
I used to visit SVTP all the time untill work filtered it out so now i no longer have access. I dont want to run this thread off topic but what do you have done to your lightning?

On Topic - I went through pretty much the same thing as you a few months ago. I heard about how bad the 6.0 is... I did some research and found that they engine isnt all that bad. I would look up some of the major issues and see how comfortable you are with what you read. I am a mechanic so if something beaks i have no problem tearing into the engine... but thats just me. Like some guys have said, its a hit or miss so as long as the CARFAX report and Ford's Oasis report come out clean, i think you can find a good truck.

But for $24K it sound like you are in the 7.3L market. Where are you located? I know up in the northeast (where i live) it seems like prices for trucks are a little more expensive then down in TX (where i want to live). If you are down in the south you should be able to find a hell of a truck for a great price. I would suggest finding a truck you like with all the optinos, run a CARFAX and Oasis and if both of those come up clean and you want a third opinion post the truck on here. These guys were very helpful when i bought my F350 back in late March.

All I know is that i am glad i got my truck and i had to drive 3 horus to go get it.

Good luck and keep us updated,
-Mike

Last edited:

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Maryland, and I'm a Machinist if that helps you guys out.

I plan to have the Powerstroke for a while is one thing, so I'd prefer to get a properly maintained used truck so I can continue it, versus buying a truck that was let go and have to spend a lot of money to get it right. I can do the upkeep and gradually learn how to work on diesels thanks to the internet :D.

I plan to do a lot of homework, especially searching around here. I'll have a Powerstroke within a few months, It'll definently happen; I just need to find the truck for me though.

For right now, the truck would be used as I said for daily driving purposes. I don't think as of now I'll be power hungry as I don't think I could afford to do any mods right away, and as far as hauling real heavy loads or towing.. won't be happening as soon as I get it either as far as I can see, maybe some small stuff like furniture, lawn equipment, etc. etc., common household items like everyone else uses their trucks, for the most part.

Come to think of it, my father is friends with a guy who owns a Duramax, not sure of the year; it's fairly new. He mentioned to me a few months ago before I had even talked about purchasing a diesel that his Duramax is getting not to great mileage, he's planning on selling it too because of this. I'm not dissuaded in any shape or form by his personal experience. I'm not bad mouthing GM in anyway, but he's the only one I know of who owns a diesel pickup.

OFFTOPIC:

Mike, I just have basic bolt ons for now nothing too serious like your Mr. Bell Blown Cobra. :thumbs I installed 4 Autometer gauges, (Vac/Boost, Fuel Pressure, Voltmeter, and Oil pressure), Lakewood traction (slapper) bars, JDMs Silver Bullet catback, K&N's FIPK. Nothing too serious, still on the stock tune and 8 pounds of boost. The next mods I'll do before the Powerstroke comes in is an E-fan kit,TA Performance Products Rear End Girdle (Diff Cover) and maybe QA1's all the around. Asside from that, just meticulous care and maintenance it gets, Im sure everyone here can relate.

Here are some pics;
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/PSTROKE/Gauge2.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/PSTROKE/SVT1.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/PSTROKE/SVT2.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/PSTROKE/cert.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/PSTROKE/SVT45.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl