I would like some advice/opinions

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
you could pretty much get away with any year PSD.the 6.slow trucks are gonna be more expensive than the 7.3 trucks.as was said the OBS(94 1/2-97) trucks have the most bang for the buck as they all have the forged rods.and you can pick up a really nice well taken care of OBS for short money.they all have tranny issues.the 95-97 trucks have the E4ODead and the 99-03 have the 4r100.the 5 speed trucks need a clutch flywheel upgrade to get rid of the dual mass flywheel that likes to crack bell housings.

we can and have built these trucks to smoke lightnings with ease.they arent really that expensive to mod.you can get 400HP at the rear wheels on an OBS truck for somewhere around 3500.00 - $4,000.00:burnit

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Maryland huh, I lived in Baltimore before i came over to the middle east. I had to drive from Dover, DE all they way down to Danville, VA to get my truck.

What are you looking for in the truck anyway? You already said you did forsee any major towing so an F250 will be fine. What about regular cab/super cab/crew cab? Shortbed/longbed? XL/XLT/Lariat? Are leather seats a must have? What about 4 wheel drive?

If i was in the states right now i would let you take mine for a spin so you can see how you like it. It would have helped narrow down some options that you may want or not want.

As i mentioned before its going to be hard to find a nice truck for a good price up in the northeast. For some reason people think they can charge an arm and a leg. E-bay is pointless, 95% of the trucks on there are in TX, the other 4% are overpriced and 1% are scams :)

It sounds like you have time to find the right truck for the right price which is a great thing.

OFFTOPIC:
8psi and stock tune??? tisk tisk :) Gotta love the SC wine though!

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, asside what I had mentioned in my first post. Standard cab with a longbed, or a supercab with a short bed. Super crew is too much for what I'll need. 4 wheel drive is a must. Automatic trans. No DRW's. I'm pretty much bent on a 99-03, I'll consider OBS too

I'm not planning on lifting it, so the parts and supporting mods wont be needed for me.. 3.73 gear ratio's come standard on all Super Duties? 4.10's are on the Duallies? I've read there are some type of options that some non-Duallies have lower gear ratios than 3.73, like an ordered option at the dealership. 3.73 would probably do me fine, as I probably also won't increase in tire size either.

I don't necessarily need all the commodities of a Lariat. The whole leather seats, options galore won't be me unless I find one in my price range.

My father has an 05 F150 XLT Supercab (4.6), and all the options he has would be good enough for me. If atleast, I'd like to have power windows and locks if nothing else at all. Cruise control I don't really use that much. Tow mirrors would be a plus, all superduties have those style of tow mirrors? Brake controllers for trailers is another thing Im going to have to look up too.

Late Summer/Early Fall is when Im planning on getting a Powerstroke, so yeah, I do have a lot of time to do research. Internet classified ads/auctions, Private sells, Im not considering in picking a truck up with either of those ways. It'll be from a dealership. I got a lot of homework to do, but I have plenty of time.

Again I have to mention I really appreciate all your guys' opinions, everybit helps.

Last edited:

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, whats the rear end ratio on your 4.3 S10? I have a 96 C1500, with the 4.3 and a 4L60E with 3.73 gearing, and it gets 20-21 highway, and about 19 city. From what I'm starting to see, they seem to perform best with the 3.73 rear end.

IMO, if you want a powerstroke, go with a 99-2000 7.3 with the forged rods. If fuel economy is really important, I'd suggest getting the ZF-6 manual as well as a 3.73 rear end ratio as well.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My S10 has a 3.42 ratio, same trans.

Fuel economy won't be that big of a deal unless I get 10MPG and under, I still wanna stick with the 4R100. I've been eyeing up a lot of 2000-2003 Powerstrokes recently, just to see what's on dealers used lots.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
The OBS trucks 94-97 have great potential also, and in my opinion are the best bang for the buck. You could buy one for much less than you would the 99.5-03 and then compensate the price difference with money spent on mods and have a better truck IMO
Also the 94-97's had the 3.55 axle which helped the fuel mileage. The current models should have this axle as an option for people who don't do much towing (like me). Plus the 94-97 crew cab short bed is really a nice looking truck and the truck that originally tweaked my interest in a PSD. As far as fuel mileage, I'm getting 17-18 mpg running biodiesel. On the highway, I've gotten as high was 21 mpg, but I haven't taken a trip using biodiesel yet. When biodiesel is more readily available, I'm sure I can get 22-23 highway mpg. Good luck with your search.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
02SilverStroke said:
Plus the 94-97 crew cab short bed is really a nice looking truck and the truck .
:hail :hail :hail amen
they were the sharpest loooking trucks, they oozed I AM A TRUCK, I will eat your lunch
:D
i like my superduty but the obs was king

you can find good deals for 24 shoot i bet an 02 350 dually crew with 65k would easily go for that.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like already mentioned, up here in Maryland Diesels go for top dollar even if they're running over 100,000 miles, bare in mind I'm not steering away from high mileage diesels, but I'd prefer it was lower mileage to the year truck.

A Truck Dealership near me has a ton of Powerstrokes, unfortunately they all seem too high priced for what they are. Let me know what you guys think of these prices; http://www.daystruckcenter.com/index.shtml

Keep in mind, this is just one place, but this dealership seems to stockpile a lot of fullsize domestic trucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14