ICP#s

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I just got an Autoenginuity scanner and I am wondering what the ICP#s should look like since I had a P1211. Currently they are ~600psi at ~9% duty cycle idling and max out at ~2,400psi at ~55% duty cycle. Does that sound normal?

Another thing I am wondering about is my exhaust back pressure is ~14.5psi idling and doesn't get below 19 psi when driving, is that right? That seems awefully high to me.

One more question, change in velocity for all cylinders is less than 1% except #8 which is near 2%, is that worthy of any concern? They all go to 0% with any kind of throttle.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
400-600 psi at idle
3200 psi max pressure at 50% duty cycle.

Looks a little high at idle, and a little low at WOT. Could be the DP tuner causing that tho. Little extra off idle power, but your running out of oil on the top end.

exhaust backpressure is measured in ABSOLUTE, meaning at dead rest, engine off, there is 14.7 psi of pressure against the sensor. Once you turn the truck on, you build pressure additional pressure. 19.7 psi on the sensor would be 5 psi of backpressure on a gauge.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
Do you think I am actually running out of oil or the DP Tuner is just making itself think it is out of oil? 2300 is quite a ways from 3200.

That makes sense on the backpressure, there is a barometric pressure so I can just subtract that then I guess.

Thanks

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat with my new programs, but I don't have autoenginuity to see my HPOP numbers.-popcorn

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had a 10k type mod plugged into the ICP sensor, then I would say the AE is being lied to.

But since I dont think your playing with the sensor, then you may be running out of oil.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I just took it out for a run again and it seemed to top out at 2,200 psi and fall off. I was hoping to record it but I do not have that part of the software figured out yet I guess.

Can you get a rebuild kit for the HPOP? Is it very likely that the ICP valve is leaking?

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ICP is not a valve, just a pressure sensor.

The ICP tells the computer what it is seeing, and the computer makes changes to the IPR duty cycle. The IPR gets its pressure from the HPOP before feeding the "correct" amount to the heads.

Your problem sounds like HPOP is not supplying enough pressure to the IPR, or perhaps the IPR is not working correctly and is dumping too much pressure.

To capture data with the AE, you need to pick which sensors you want to monitor (ICP, IPR duty cycle, RPM are three good ones) and then you hit the red "record" button. It should ask you where to save the file (use XML to get a neat little webpage, CSV is comma seperate values and needs something like excel to really use it).

Try not to have more sensors recording than you need. Keep it small in order to get the fastest response from the computer. The more readings it has to take, the longer it takes to "cycle" and you end up with large gaps in the data stream.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I figured there was a valave somewhere that was controlling the pressure, I guess it is the IPR then? So it sounds like the HPOP generates unregulated pressure and the IPR opens varying ammounts to control how much gets in the heads, is that correct? Regardless, if it is not reaching the desired pressure, why doesnt the ICP duy cycle go to 100%? I just cannot see why my HPOP would be worn out when I change the oil very regularly, I am loking for another cause. Is there anything else that could make the pressure low?

That is the way I was trying to recod, I got one empty file, and one with 2 entries. Both times I tried XML it said the file was corrupt. I must be doing something wrong.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IPR will only go to 50% max (which equates to "open" half the time and "closed" half the time). Im not aware of any way to make the duty cycle greater than 50% (plus or minus a few).

Hpops and o-rings and IPRs just fail. Also, the HPOP doesnt get "new" oil like your main bearings do. Changing your oil helps, but its not like the hpop is bathed in freshed engine oil every second. It just picks up a little oil to keep its resevoir full as it is depleted by the injectors firing.

renchr56

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If it is true about the IPR only going 50 percent. I have one for you. I will give you my readings while I was driving down the road.

Latest scenario

2600 RPM
ICP Duty cycle 65.1
ICP 1568
Volt 2.01

Earlier Scenario
RPM 1786
Duty Cycle 37.3
IPR 2339.82

Problem is each case threw the dreaded P1211. I have new IPR,IPC,HPOP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58