Identifying High Idle Mod

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newbie question: when my truck is cold and I turn it on, and let it sit for a bit to warm up...invariably within 2-3 minutes, the idle jumps up a bit, and stays steady at an accelerated RPM. maybe around 1200-1500 RMPs. I was reading about the high idle mod, and wondering if this means I have that and didn't know it. I bought the truck used from a dealer a couple years ago, and just starting to learn the ins and outs of the 6.0. Hell, digging around down there I noticed I have a block heater plug also...didn't even know :)

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you have is the cold Idle and as far as I know all 6.0 have
that on them to help them warm up when it's cold, I put the
High Idle Mod on my 06, 6.0 and use it when
I am parked somewhere in the summer time and want the A/C on.
I have it on my #4 Upfitter Switch and it works great.
I don't think the 04 came or can you add the Upfitter Switch to them.
Doug

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 04 it would idle up by itself. I did put a switch in to kick it up to 1100RPMs. But thats not good until it's has a few min of normal warm up. I had a 5" exhaust on my truck and it sounded like a jet powering up for take off when the motor idled up by it's self.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If you look at the pictures in my signature, you will find a High Idle Mod with pictures. It is easy to do.

Dave :)

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am planning on this mod myself..... just need to get everything together and do it... I have only been planning on it for... the last 4 years.... in the summer I think, I need to do that while it is warm out..... then the cold hits.... and I am reminded that I did not do the mod again this summer..... I may do it this weekend......

Hey Dave.... since you have already done this once..... why don't you come do mine!!!!:lmao:nudge

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58