idler arm

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my gear ratio is a 3.55,which i think is bad for towing already,when you throw bigger tires on,its like having a 3.14 gear now,i want to know how much this will affect my towing capabilities?

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
my gear ratio is a 3.55,which i think is bad for towing already,when you throw bigger tires on,its like having a 3.14 gear now,i want to know how much this will affect my towing capabilities?

Sorry, didn't understand what ya meant.

Yea, the OEM tires are like a 31.5" size (aka 235/85 or 265/75), meaning, when you throw 35" tires on it, your final rear end ratio will be close to 3.20 Gears.

Yes, it will need more PEDAL to get it going, but it will still pull it :D

If you are going to be pulling ALOT, I would suggest get some 4.10 gears to swap in for sure.

:sweet

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hopefully,my od is weak on my 5 speed,i can barely accelerat on highway with 2k in overdrive,1st thru 4th is great,od is like a turtle,:confused: why is od so weak,and will i burn more gas tyin to run od workin the engine hard or runnin 4ht gear at 2700 rpms? which is better

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
hopefully,my od is weak on my 5 speed,i can barely accelerat on highway with 2k in overdrive,1st thru 4th is great,od is like a turtle,:confused: why is od so weak,and will i burn more gas tyin to run od workin the engine hard or runnin 4ht gear at 2700 rpms? which is better

Yea, if you are towing with 3.55 gears, more than likey you will need to allways tow in 4th.

OD isn't weak, you just don't have towing gears ;)

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thanks thanks for all the info,some of you guys no to much about these trucks,lol, better for the rest of us though:hail ,have a good day

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is the load rating of the tire that counts, not the truck. What are the load ratings of the tires?

Dave

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
umm not sure,i just want to be able to tow a heavy load atleast 70 mph,is that to much to ask,just kidding,ive got tow fever!i need to tow something heavy,im just curious about what my truck can handle doing 70 mph,ill have to run 4th

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14