Idler Pulley - OBS

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got this fixed...back on the road.

None of the parts stores in town had the pulley I needed. They only had the smooth one. I ended up getting an 8 rib pulley from a 97, putting a few spacers behind it.

I've had so much trouble getting 7 rib accessories, I think I will begin to move towards 8 rib accessories as I replace parts...then at some point I can get an 8 rib belt and be good to go!

Admins -- feel free to move or delete at your discretion..

Thanks

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Got this fixed...back on the road.

None of the parts stores in town had the pulley I needed. They only had the smooth one. I ended up getting an 8 rib pulley from a 97, putting a few spacers behind it.

I've had so much trouble getting 7 rib accessories, I think I will begin to move towards 8 rib accessories as I replace parts...then at some point I can get an 8 rib belt and be good to go!

Admins -- feel free to move or delete at your discretion..

Thanks

Ben,

Dang, that is right, I forgot about the 7 Rib vs 8 Rib thing, sorry about that. :sorry

Yea, with the spacers, I would just check every few thousand miles to make sure it is still torqued good, at least it got you back on the road for now! :sweet

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the guys with 1994's (I've been there done that):

Idler Pulley, Ribbed (7-rib belted 94 only)
(Ford) F5TZ-8678-A
(Motorcraft) YS-218

Idler Pulley, Smooth (7-rib belted 94 only)
(Ford) F5TZ-8678-C
(Motorcraft) YS-222

Powerstrokeshop.com had both of these for around $19 each. Needless to say there are spares behind my back seat. The correct (I forget whether its smooth or ribbed) pulley can be modified to work as the tensioner pulley as well, you just have to clearance the pulley fins on the backside to clear the tensioner "hub". Cheers!

Last edited:

DA-HEAT

The First Stroker
Reaction score
Ya the 94 Powerstrokers are very difficult to get parts for or at least the CORRECT parts. I have had problems with everything from thermostats to glow plugs to tuners. At one point I just wanted to sell the truck because of the stupid parts people:rant

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim