I'm in a pinch

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Guys I need help with a decision. I found out the other day that ford is no longer using a diesel in the E series trucks right now because the 6.4 will not fit. I need another new truck and I will not buy a GM or Dodge. I like the diesel option in my 06 E350. The truck needs to be an E series for better steering and lower frame height. So I told my rep to price a gasser. I tow 7000# trailers everyday and need a motor to support it. If I use a 5.4 what gear ratio do you suggest? Same goes for the 6.8. I am pissed because diesel is about 50 cents cheaper than gas. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
The 5.4 is not a bad engine by any means, as I have one in my Navigator (98) so it is the 16v not the 32.... it does "OK" as we use it some times to pull the boat... which barely weighs in at 3600lbs... while pulling I am hard pressed to get much over 10 mpg..... I would suspect you would see the same.... with that being said I would look at the V-10 as I dont think your fuel economy would differ much while pulling a trailer, but you would have the extra OOMPH to pull those hills.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out the other day that ford is no longer using a diesel in the E series trucks right now because the 6.4 will not fit.

Someone at Ford must have had a thumb up their rear (or somewhere else) when the 6.4 was designed. They should have made sure that it would fit in the E-Series, and that it could be removed from the SuperDuties without removing the cab. The 6.4 would have been a good engine for heavy duty E-Series use including ambulances and motor homes.

dpantazis

Reaction score
FT4L- go for an 07 with the 6.0. get it quick before the price goes up due to low supplies.

Someone at Ford must have had a thumb up their rear (or somewhere else) when the 6.4 was designed.

stroke- i agree with you completely, but remember that Navistar designed the engine, not Ford.

What drove the engine design was not its application but emissions!

dp

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
I have been searching for 06 and 07 E series diesels, but they are all gone. If there are stock units out there they have already been accounted for. I agree with you guys about how stupid Ford is to give up the E series diesel. There is a new E series design that looks like the superduties, but I am not sure if the 6.4 fits in that either. I only feel bad about getting a gasser because of the fuel prices.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58