I'm Really On The Fence With This 06E17

Puddle Pirate

Will Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
I got off the fence and had it done last week (Wednesday).

I hesitated about having it done as the truck ran great without any problems and I was concerned because I figured performance could only go down.

Wrong!!

After a week of driving with the flash, I found that mileage is up about 3 miles per gallon and I'm hoping it will be better with this 2nd tank full.

Shifts are firmer, quicker and smoother. Never had any smoke issues.

I hit the throttle from a stop and gotta hold on if I punch too hard:burnit

The diesel at a stop is quieter and does start quicker without cranking and cranking.

The turbo does spool quicker and I see less boost and more power.

I took my 32 foot 5er out on Monday and decided to climb the first part of the Coast Range headed toward the Or-e-Gun coast. Tow/haul engaged and I was impressed! I have towed this trailer up this mountain pass many times and always had good performance. This time, with several vehicles behind me - no one was passing. Power was excellent an the braking action of the torque shift transmission was better then before.

I am impressed. Looks like Ford finally found the "happy spot"!!!:thumbs :thumbs

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
*Green with envy*

Oh well, gotta be thankful that the trucks running good as always :sweet

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Puddle Pirate said:
I got off the fence and had it done last week (Wednesday).

I hesitated about having it done as the truck ran great without any problems and I was concerned because I figured performance could only go down.
Wrong!!
After a week of driving with the flash, I found that mileage is up about 3miles per gallon and I'm hoping it will be better with this 2nd tank full.
Shifts are firmer, quicker and smoother. Never had any smoke issues.
I hit the throttle from a stop and gotta hold on if I punch too hard:burnit
The diesel at a stop is quieter and does start quicker without cranking and cranking.
The turbo does spool quicker and I see less boost and more power.
I took my 32 foot 5er out on Monday and decided to climb the first part of the Coast Range headed toward the Or-e-Gun coast. Tow/haul engaged and I was impressed! I have towed this trailer up this mountain pass many times and always had good performance. This time, with several vehicles behind me - no one was passing. Power was excellent an the braking action of the torque shift transmission was better then before.
I am impressed. Looks like Ford finally found the "happy spot !!!:thumbs :thumbs

I want to be this happy with mine. How much are you getting now that it has gone up by 3MPG. I am at 13 around town. Went to East Texas this weekend and got 10.5 at 67MPH pulling the 32 foot long 12,500lb HitchHiker

Puddle Pirate

Will Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
WD40 said:
I want to be this happy with mine. How much are you getting now that it has gone up by 3MPG. I am at 13 around town. Went to East Texas this weekend and got 10.5 at 67MPH pulling the 32 foot long 12,500lb HitchHiker

That's not quite what I was getting before the flash. City is now at 14 - which is where most of my tank went. I have gotten as low as 9 to 10 - if I was really easy on the throttle, 11 in city before.

Highway was 14 to 15 before. I drove about 100 miles highway and was getting 19.5 (Hell! That's what I got with my 99 Exploder!!)

Don't know for sure what towing mileage will be. I was getting 8.5 to 9 towing before. Of course that included mountains with not that much flat land.

I should also state that I only have about 18,000 on the truck at this point, so, as far as I understand, mileage should grow as the engine gets more broke in.

If I did not get much in the way of mileage increase, I am more then happy - damn near doing the "Happy Dance" just with performance!

As you know, you sacrifice some mileage being a dually with 4.10 gears.

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Puddle Pirate said:
That's not quite what I was getting before the flash. City is now at 14 - which is where most of my tank went. I have gotten as low as 9 to 10 - if I was really easy on the throttle, 11 in city before.

Highway was 14 to 15 before. I drove about 100 miles highway and was getting 19.5 (Hell! That's what I got with my 99 Exploder!!)

Don't know for sure what towing mileage will be. I was getting 8.5 to 9 towing before. Of course that included mountains with not that much flat land.

I should also state that I only have about 18,000 on the truck at this point, so, as far as I understand, mileage should grow as the engine gets more broke in.

If I did not get much in the way of mileage increase, I am more then happy - damn near doing the "Happy Dance" just with performance!

As you know, you sacrifice some mileage being a dually with 4.10 gears.

add dually with 4.30's
it took mine a few weeks if not a month to come back up in mpg, but powers now if absofreakinlutley teerrrrrrriffficcc especially towing :thumbs :thumbs
10mpg with the fiver in tow at 70-72 mph:sweet

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm convinced! I'm goin' in,...:watchout Cover me! I can always use a 3 mpg increase, especially right now.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
gotta say since its been done, i am liking it more and more. miles per tank seems to go up but no trlr. on and was not a full tank to begin with.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I got the 06E17 recall

I took my truck in this morning for the recall and got it back this afternoon. It runs the same as far as I can tell. The tranny shifts a bit too early, but it has to relearn my driving. They found a P0405 code and they are going to replace the EGR valve and the coupler (?). They will order it and call me when it is in.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14