Question Im stumped here

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving to work today the check engine light kicked on then off. Did not have a chance to see it just heard it and saw a split sec. of it. But it's not setting any codes. Its did this last month too then nothing for about a month. Any thoughts here??

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My check engine light is hooked to a buzzer. The buzzer went off and I look and the check engine light flashed on then off.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think on the early ones, there is a beep..... The same one that you hear when the low fuel, or CHECK GAUGE light comes on. When my ICP was failing, the light would clear and set, I think it beeped each time the light came on.

Dogman,

Not sure on your issue. Could it be a voltage or some other issue? How about an EGR Valve issue, if you still have one. On the newer trucks, an EGR Issue or Delete will cause a Check Engine Light, so will an overboost. Was this during or after a "hard" acceleration? Just throwing out ideas.....

The reason I asked about voltage issues, I had a 92 Bonneville. I had a transient issue where the "Check Gauge" light would quickly flash, and the warning beep would cycle with the flash. What I finally found was the voltage regulator in the alternator was beginning to fail, and go "high" What would happen as it would run, the voltage level would "bounce" and go just up to the high warning area in the voltmeter in the dash. As it would bounce and touch this area, it would set off the beeper and flash the light. It would only do this 5 or 6 times, and then not do it again for some time. I was doing something else one day, and happened to be looking at the voltmeter when it had one of its "spells" and I saw what it was doing. Replaced the alternator, and the spells stopped...... Just an idea.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think on the early ones, there is a beep..... The same one that you hear when the low fuel, or CHECK GAUGE light comes on. When my ICP was failing, the light would clear and set, I think it beeped each time the light came on.

That's a good chance of what's happing. I think I have a ICP from the 04 I had years ago.

Thanks
Scott

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I think I'd scan it anyway.
Chances are there'll be a code set in continuous memory.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I found a code PO611 and I know what that is for, So FICM I'll be send it out for repairs and upgrades.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58