Injector Drive Module (IDM) Trouble

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to pee on your parade
but the biggest killer of IDMs is ground or lack of it
this puppy has several grounds that must be met or acts like a bad guy
the most famous one is right behind the drivers battery on the inner fender
big fat GROUND that likes to come loose or be loosened when battery work or intake mods are done.

nother one is right near valve cover lower ground drivers side harness,

Do you mean that you think the IDM may be shot, or more likely just has a bad ground that can be fixed due to it working intermittently?
Thanks!

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
lets just say
check ALL the grounds before turning loose of your hard earned dollars
you might just be surprised or not
go over all the things you may have had apart and ummmm check the grounds

unless you think you zapped it already :eek:

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks powerboat, good to hear someone give some positive input for a change instead of just telling me to throw money at the problem.

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went and checked all my wiring connections as well as any grounds I could find to make sure they were all good. Seems like I have good connections. Before I pulled the IDM I tried starting the truck again, blew a lot of smoke and wouldn't run more than a second. Checked the codes again and pulled a P1210.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

DIESEL97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks powerboat, good to hear someone give some positive input for a change instead of just telling me to throw money at the problem.

If that comment was meant for me.Sorry..See if that was my problem I would have got one of my freinds IDM and tried it or vice versa.Im guessing that you dont have any freinds local to you that would let you try one thats why I suggested ebay or dealer seeing that you need it asap.Have you tried taking it out and shaking it a bit,cause they are known to get water inside of them?Again sorry for trying to help.:dunno

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
comment wasn't meant for anyone in particular, just seems like most of the responses to the questions I ask involve buying new parts instead of trying to fix old ones, sorry if you took it personally.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I just went and checked all my wiring connections as well as any grounds I could find to make sure they were all good. Seems like I have good connections. Before I pulled the IDM I tried starting the truck again, blew a lot of smoke and wouldn't run more than a second. Checked the codes again and pulled a P1210.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

fault codes

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Wow dude youre barking up the wrong tree. A p1210 is icp above expected level-has nothing to do with the idm. If you pulled a 1210 I imagine you have a half ass descent scanner? Will it datalog? If it will you want .17-.23 volts icp key on engine off. If you have no way to check this and you can get your truck to act up easily when it starts acting up disconnect the icp sensor(the one on the driver side head by the fuel filter housing). It will throw the pcm into a default of 750psi @idle. If you truck starts to run better replace the sensor(another dead giveaway is if the connector/sensor has oil on it).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg