Injector Intensifier Piston alteration

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
Looking for advise. i believe... hope my injector o-rings are bad and that is the extent of my problems. i blow white smoke when i start up in the morning. it smells of fuel and burns off within the first 1/4 mile of road. i have lack of power to get up & go. a shop told me it's probably my valve seals but i pray it's not and they did not inspect the rig. i can get new motorcraft o-rings for $80.00 or get a rebuild kit for more than double... if i get the kit and shave down the intensifier do i need to worry about over stressing my motor & tranny? i have super chip programmer but that is the extent of my performance mods... here is the site with details... let me know what you all think. here is the site: DIY-Injectors.com

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as long as you keep the stock nozzles you will have the ability to keep stock power levels and therefore save your transmission, you will however likely want/need better programming than the superchips programmer you have now.

Most people who upgrade injectors (what you're essentially doing) usually need transmission upgrades or replacement within 6 months if they have the programming to run the injectors, I at the time had a 100hp ts chip and could not run it due to the excessive smoke you may find similar results with your programmer.

if your transmission is in good shape now then a shift kit & converter will give you a reasonable life span if you have any doubts about your transmission then opt for a full build before you do injectors or prepare to drive around on a stock power setting.

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
hmm... but will my stock settings after the injector rebuild be better than my performance setting with possible faulty injectors now....

if i'm not going to see the gains i'd rather dump the extra cost into something else.

it is a ford transmission so i do doubt it.

the previous owners had a performance torque converter installed but that is the extent of my knowledge of wrenching to the drive train on this truck.

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear stage 1 injectors with stock chip give about equal gain to a hot chip. I want both. any other opinions?

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can say that with my stage one injectors which were ok save leaking injector o-rings when I pulled them out there is a little difference in the performance.

The stock level performance depends heavily upon how the injectors are modified, some companies will have stage one injectors and the only thing they will tell you about their injector is that it can add *** horsepower to the truck. They will not tell you the fuel delivery or nozzle size of the injectors, In this case you will notice a gain even with stock programming.

Bean, Swamp, Rosewood all tell you the fuel delivery rates and nozzle modifications if any.

Beans stage 1 and Baby Swamps use stock nozzles to maintain stock power/smoke levels when needed or desired. At the higher fuel delivery rates the stock nozzle is a restriction for rapid fuel delivery but is adequate for 85-90% of the range

Beans stage 2 is the exact same fuel delivery as stage 1 except it has larger nozzles which allow faster delivery of more fuel which can mean more power but with stock programming you will generate smoke on normal driving custom programmed chips are required.

Cliff notes -- stage 1 injectors on stock programming = stock injectors stock programming

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was refered to "Pensacola Diesel" by my bro-in-law (diesel mechanic), and when I contacted them they said they make 40hp and 70hp overstocks but didn't know the nozzle cc size, so I can't compare theirs to Bean's. They are saying anything over 100 hp overstock is crazy for a daily driver. My truck aint no race car and I don't want to create a maintenance nightmare. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ward_cleaver,

Not wanting to raise a flag, but you may want to check and see it this is the same company as Penascola Diesel. Over on oilburners there are a few people that have gotten IDI IP pumps from them and have been less than pleased. I would be conserned about their quality on any of their products. I know that I would not buy from them. Go over to oilburners.net (Sister site to sdd) and search on Pensacola Diesel........

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's them. That's what I thought, if they can't tell me the nozzle size or the flow rate, what kind of expertise do they have? I don't have a money tree in the backyard so I just want to do this once.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ward, Run and run fast!!

Someone posted on another board asking about them and I had never heard of them I called him up and played 20 questions, (I highly advise this for entertainment purposes) After about 10 minutes I came to the conclusion that he does not do the injectors in house only resells for someone else, and has no clue what he's selling, he can't tell me nor is he willing to get the information to regarding the fuel delivery rates and/or nozzle sizes, other than saying that the nozzles are "custom." a great question to ask is "why should I buy your injector instead of XYZ's injector"

The reality of PSD injectors (especially stage 1's) is that while CAN make insane amounts of power over stock you do NOT HAVE to making the power, that's the beauty of flip chips on computer controlled engines. I can at the flip of the chip go back to a stock level of power, and if/when I want more power just turn the knob.

EDIT:
The other scary thing is that he offers "40 hp injectors" but he'll tell you that you need a chip to see the full potential of the injectors. You already have an extra 40hp simply with your wildman chip, actually closer to 70.

Last edited:

DOC-MX

FOREIGN MEMBER
Reaction score
Ward, Run and run fast!!

Someone posted on another board asking about them and I had never heard of them I called him up and played 20 questions, (I highly advise this for entertainment purposes) After about 10 minutes I came to the conclusion that he does not do the injectors in house only resells for someone else, and has no clue what he's selling, he can't tell me nor is he willing to get the information to regarding the fuel delivery rates and/or nozzle sizes, other than saying that the nozzles are "custom." a great question to ask is "why should I buy your injector instead of XYZ's injector"

The reality of PSD injectors (especially stage 1's) is that while CAN make insane amounts of power over stock you do NOT HAVE to making the power, that's the beauty of flip chips on computer controlled engines. I can at the flip of the chip go back to a stock level of power, and if/when I want more power just turn the knob.

EDIT:
The other scary thing is that he offers "40 hp injectors" but he'll tell you that you need a chip to see the full potential of the injectors. You already have an extra 40hp simply with your wildman chip, actually closer to 70.
X2, what he said.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58