Injector replacement

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the more commone signs and symptoms of injectors needing replacement? I have 178,000+ miles, just replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter canister, and FPR. Takes a few seconds to start (see related volatage post !). No smoke or oil burning issues. However it does seem to have lost some power. Fuel economy seems to have taken a nose dive. Thought that was related to a fuel leak hence the new fuel system components. But it doesn't seem to have helped my milage after replacing all that. No hard figues but my mileage seems to have been cut in half (15 mpg originally on average).

An ideas ??

AlaskaRedneK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have a "Miss"? or a bad idle?

If so, it could have a bad O-Ring or two, you are well in the range of O-Ring failure.

-Matt

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, idles like normal. Would decreasing mileage be an indicator? I'm thinking that if the injectors are bad/worn then they are working harder to reach the same performance (i.e.- using more fuel to do the same work.)

I just don't want to dive into replacing them if they don't need it.

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
When mine were bad(replaced at 175K) the truck would studder(best way to describe it) under hard acceleration, and felt very underpowered. Heavy exhaust smell at idle(burned your eyes).

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine were bad(replaced at 175K) the truck would studder(best way to describe it) under hard acceleration, and felt very underpowered. Heavy exhaust smell at idle(burned your eyes).

My exhaust does smell "different", but I've got a terrible nose ! I guess considering the mileage, it's due for some new ones.

Anyone have any input on who has the best deal on new injectors ?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Ryan Bean @ beansdieselperformance is a good reputable injector rebuilder. He can fix you up with modded injectors as well if thats your flavor.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I've been looking at Bean's site. It looks like the prices are about the same no matter who you buy from.

Has anyone had tranny problems when running the stage 1 injectors?

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Decreased by half?:confused:

That's alot! Are you running ULSD? Have you ever had your oil analyzed to see if there's fuel in it from bad o-rings?

Easiest way to see if injectors are bad is with a scan tool to see if all cylinders are contributing well.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decreased by half?:confused:

That's just a rough estimate. A place I drive to usually takes me a quarter of one tank. But I just filled up so I'll do the math tommorrow to find out for sure.

That's alot! Are you running ULSD? Have you ever had your oil analyzed to see if there's fuel in it from bad o-rings?

Running whatever diesel comes out the pump ! Most likely it is ULSD. I have not had my oil analyzed. Who would do that type work?

Easiest way to see if injectors are bad is with a scan tool to see if all cylinders are contributing well.

Would my Edge programmer pick up that code? Or is it something that the dealer would have to read on his scanner?

Judging by other posts I've read here, it seems due for new o-rings and or injectors. I'm thinking that even if it's just the o-rings, I might as well put in new injectors rather than take it all apart again later.

Thanks for the input so far. Keep any ideas you may have coming!

AlaskaRedneK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you have to get it scanned w/ a dealership style one. Most automotive shops have them. I think its like 65 bucks to scan where I went one time. Could vary more or less tho.

Ask for a cylinder contribution test.

-Matt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg