Injectors getting louder. Is one on the way out?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2

There are mixed opinions on the subject, but the 2 stroke oil works for me.

The other thing that comes to mind, is the fuel line going from the top of the tank to the fuel pump. Depending on your view, it may or may not be part of the "Hutch" mod. I think generally the "Hutch" mod is thought of as being internal to the fuel tank.

There is a quick disconnect (QD) in the fuel line between the tank and the pump. While QD's work OK in a pressure application, they kinda suck in a suction application. (Pun intended) They like to leak air into that fuel line. The best thing to do, if not done already, is to remove the fuel line between the tank and the electric fuel pump including that QD and pitch it out. Replace it with a one piece rubber fuel hose all the way between the tank and the pump with some good old worm gear hose clamps on each end.

I dont think I ever heard that when I had this issue;tu

But dont we have....ahh crap....:doh:.....Oh!!...a self purging system for when air gets into our fuel lines? Or does it not work at that source?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2

There are mixed opinions on the subject, but the 2 stroke oil works for me.

The other thing that comes to mind, is the fuel line going from the top of the tank to the fuel pump. Depending on your view, it may or may not be part of the "Hutch" mod. I think generally the "Hutch" mod is thought of as being internal to the fuel tank.

There is a quick disconnect (QD) in the fuel line between the tank and the pump. While QD's work OK in a pressure application, they kinda suck in a suction application. (Pun intended) They like to leak air into that fuel line. The best thing to do, if not done already, is to remove the fuel line between the tank and the electric fuel pump including that QD and pitch it out. Replace it with a one piece rubber fuel hose all the way between the tank and the pump with some good old worm gear hose clamps on each end.

X2 Fer Shur.

I been preaching the QD fitting delete mod for YEARS, and the in-tank mod as well... for the gremlins TG mentions.

JRJ04

Reaction score
X2 Fer Shur.

I been preaching the QD fitting delete mod for YEARS, and the in-tank mod as well... for the gremlins TG mentions.

I did it before I did the hutch mod and I noticed a notable difference. Then after doing the hutch mod...she purrs like a kitten.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
But dont we have....ahh crap....:doh:.....Oh!!...a self purging system for when air gets into our fuel lines? Or does it not work at that source?

That's the beauty of the QD sucking air, it constantly replenishes the air in your fuel, not matter what you've done in the tank. ;)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the 7.3 Bunch.. I'll step up and Say:

Do the Fuel Pump Inlet Fitting Delete Mod.

Mod'd or Stock. Air in the fuel system.. IS your enemy. And that fitting lets it in.... Darn near a Given.

Joe

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X3 on the Qd fitting.

the only other thing to try might be a high pressure crossover to balance the two cylinder head oil galleries.

For the 7.3 Bunch... I'll step up and Say:

Do That Mod Too ;):D

Joe

(these are easy, cheap mods to do Guyz'n Galz)

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking, this:
KCM S.S. HPX Line (99-03)

UPDATE:
After thinking about RammerTide's suggestion of unplugging the ICP sensor for a few minutes of idle, I tried it this afternoon. Low and behold, the inside of the plug was full of oil. I'm sure that wasn't helping anything, new part on the way.

Since I am dropping the tank sometime soon (this weekend hopefully) to replace a leaky vent, I am planning to replace the fuel line too. I take it ya'll are running hose from pump to pick up? When I modified the fuel pickup last year I only replaced the hose leading up to the frame mounted fuel line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58