Injectors getting louder. Is one on the way out?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking, this:
KCM S.S. HPX Line (99-03)

UPDATE:
After thinking about RammerTide's suggestion of unplugging the ICP sensor for a few minutes of idle, I tried it this afternoon. Low and behold, the inside of the plug was full of oil. I'm sure that wasn't helping anything, new part on the way.

Since I am dropping the tank sometime soon (this weekend hopefully) to replace a leaky vent, I am planning to replace the fuel line too. [ I take it ya'll are running hose from pump to pick up?] When I modified the fuel pickup last year I only replaced the hose leading up to the frame mounted fuel line.

Nope.. you will still be using the steel, frame mounted line.. From the tank.. the in-tank mod amounts to:

Replacing the whole pick-up assembly.. to reconfigure and replace the set-up Ford used. The ford assembly, by design, has a connection fitting that is (VERY) prone to suck air into the (pick-up) supply line.. at fuel levels of less than a half tank.

www.dieselsite.com has a kit.. with very good explanations & DIY instructions on why & how to DIY. OR.. once you look at the kit.. if you don't mind chasing parts.. you can fabricate your own "kit".

See the wiki dp talks about, below.

Joe

While yer in there.. cut off the vent tube (Harpoon mod). makes filling up.. TO FULL.. a breeze.

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
you don't really need the kit. that is the tragedy of it all- hutch and TT worked this whole thing out and then they got hosed when everyone offered a 'kit' of hardware store parts.

there is writeup in the wiki.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you don't really need the kit. that is the tragedy of it all- hutch and TT worked this whole thing out and then they got hosed when everyone offered a 'kit' of hardware store parts.

there is writeup in the wiki.

My bad dp ;tu :clap: Those two WERE.. the ones that worked it out. Been a long time ago now. Forgot that.

I edited my post to reflect that :D:)

Joe

Last edited:

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already did the in tank work (cutting out the valve and using a compression fitting to extend the pick up tube) and have replace the hose from the pick up to the hard line, it just sounded like some were replacing the entire hard line with hose. Last time I was in there I looked into the Harpoon mod, but my transfer flow tank has a large baffle in the way. I too don't like waiting for fuel levels to equalize so that I can really top it off.

The diesel site kit (CPR) does look pretty nice, mainly for the regulator and lines up on the engine though.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta look into that. I cant STAND waiting on the fuel to bubble back down

And while the tank is down/out.. you could remove the fill pipe, and delete the restrict'r thingy... a 1&5/8" hole saw will do that trick.

Then you can use the Big Truck fuel nozzles :dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already did the in tank work (cutting out the valve and using a compression fitting to extend the pick up tube) and have replace the hose from the pick up to the hard line, it just sounded like some were replacing the entire hard line with hose. Last time I was in there I looked into the Harpoon mod, but my transfer flow tank has a large baffle in the way. I too don't like waiting for fuel levels to equalize so that I can really top it off.

The diesel site kit (CPR) does look pretty nice, mainly for the regulator and lines up on the engine though.

Well then....;tu looks like you've already done most of this. Hope these posts have been helpfull to others.. following along.

Joe

These 7.3 ... Air in the fuel, fuel pressure, HPOP pressure posts~threads, are get'n somewhat Redundent ????? :D;):lmao:lmao

Last edited:

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These 7.3 ... Air in the fuel, fuel pressure, HPOP pressure posts~threads, are get'n somewhat Redundent ????? :D;):lmao:lmao

Yeah, I guess it goes to show how prevalant an issue it is. Honestly I didn't intend for air/fuel issues to come up, and even now I think my problem is high pressure oil. I won't know until the ICP sensor gets in though. I just hope no damage has been done to my injectors, they sure are loud right now.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;tu

I've installed a Bunch of those HPX lines... The [more equal] HPO does make a difference. They're standard on a lot of IH commercail type 7.3s...:dunno

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58