intake confusion

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
no problem...

and it was on a cold nasty day. had to paint them inside...pphheewww - what is it they say about spray cans and proper ventilation....wife was not too happy...:sly

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aftermarket intakes

Nobody has spent more money or time on developing intakes for the 6.0 than Ford. Not only does it flow very well, it keeps intake temps low and catches a ton of dirt and keeps doing what it was designed for. Banks (for what its worth) tested alot of the intakes and almost all were worse than stock wrt density gain or intake temperature. Not to mention that none of them will vacuum up the dirt like the stock one (which is their main job!!!!). Everything is a compromise - remember to consider what you will lose when you look to gain something when you mod. Ford spent lots trying to find the best middle ground, and they are more likely to be closer to the mark than most of us could manage.

THe zoodad for example seems to be a neat way to get a cooler intake air temperature for not much work. And it may work (I have yet to see any actual data other than "it feels better"), but it will also allow alot more ram air dirt and bugs into the intake, not to mention if it rains heavy you can suck alot of ram air water into the filter. THe stock filter setup is fairly maintenance free, and does a great job. I for one don't want to spend my weekends checking the intake filter to make sure it hasn't clogged up, for minimal if any gain. Unless you are in competition pulling, or dyno runs, you would probably not notice the difference from stock to any aftermarket anyway, and I truly believe most aftermarket intakes are inferior to stock anyways.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The Zoo Dad mod does not let anything into the intake air supply. The Zoo Dad mod supplies cold air to the filter.

Dave

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zoodad mod

From what I see Dave, the zoodad hopes to allow a ram air (or cold air) effect. It does this by taking air for the filter from the front of the rad (just behind the grill), instead of the normal air intake behind the rad (which is a cleaner source, but warmer). While this sounds good, I know from past experience that you will end up vacuuming up a lot more bugs, dust, small road stones, etc that would normally not get into the filter. Go on any long road trip during the buggy season and look at your grill. I can tell you that around here, the rads themselves can get clogged from the dead insects alone. This will mean that the filter will only pack up that much faster. Heavy rain will be forced into the filter, which won't do it any good either. On the slideshow, I saw that he used sink mesh traps at the zoodad entry hole. That will clog up fast during bug season, and wet snow would ice it up fast also.

I had a Fiero in my younger days that I modded with a side ram air scoop, and a high flow washable cotton/oil filter. When it was time to clean the filter, I used to spend a long time just knocking the gravel out of it. I used to do a lot of top speed runs, and I never did see any power increase that netted any more mph.

From what I can see, the zoodad may result in a slightly cooler intake air temperature, at the cost of filter longevity, and possible clogging at critical times, especially in the freezing temperatures with precipitation.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is how I did mine. I do notice a little less mileage on the filter. You are correct in that everything one does to these trucks is a compromise.

Dave

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
yes i did use a sink screen FOR that purpose. FYI: we don't get a 'bug' season like you may get elsewhere in the country. don't get me wrong - we do have bugs, butterflies, mosquitos, cottonwood trees, grasshoppers (and big bees - ask me how i know:D) but it served its purpose. if you were taking notes, you also should have noted that i have a plow and that i utilized 'caps' for my system. 1 cap is solid for plowing or rain purposes and the other has a hole in it for 'some' air to enter. i modified this 'zoodad' mod to fit my purpose - hence why i called it a doodad.....:sweet

i will also tell you i was 'anal' about it when first installed, and at the slightest hint of rain i put the 'solid' plugs on. then one time i forgot and was worried. it was a pretty good downpour and following cars on the road just 'threw' rain at my front end. i got home, kind of worried and did some investigating. barely any water had gotten to the filter and by barely i mean drops. so from that point on i have not used the plugs. i have also not plowed w/ my truck this winter season so that is a non issue. however, i am careful not to shoot water from the powerwashers into my grill.:sly

this mod has been a great in-expensive thing for me to do. i put my procedure up for others to see and perhaps 'expand' on my idea so they too can make it work for them.;tu

as for 'life' of the filter, i had 30,438 miles on my filter and it looked decent when i replaced it - albeit the 'mod' was only on for about ~3k miles. i am pretty sure that everyone who has done this mod is very happy w/ the results and NO ONE that i know has mentioned catastrophic failure due to the mod.

enter at your own risk as they say

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I haven not noted any rain damage. I have driven through the big rain storms here and nothing changed. I didn't need to see if the filter was wet. It is too much of a bitch to get off and back together.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14