Help Needed Intermittent CEL

JRJ04

Reaction score
Got it scanned!

Had a guy I know who has the Ford software to scan for codes.

Sure enough...low intake heater circuit code came up! Also had one for the IDM (went away when I cleared them and turned the chip back to stock) So now the million dollar question...

I know people have rigged the AIH to where it closes the circuit back up...how does one do this? The CEL is annoying and Id like to get it turned off. Could i just loop that wire back to where its coming from and solve the problem?

Thanks!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Had a guy I know who has the Ford software to scan for codes.

Sure enough...low intake heater circuit code came up! Also had one for the IDM (went away when I cleared them and turned the chip back to stock) So now the million dollar question...

I know people have rigged the AIH to where it closes the circuit back up...how does one do this? The CEL is annoying and Id like to get it turned off. Could i just loop that wire back to where its coming from and solve the problem?

Thanks!

if you know the resistance value of the AIH heater element..
I don't off the top of my head... :dunno

JRJ04

Reaction score
:dizzy

Ok, so I've heard of doing this before...but im pretty much a newbie when it comes to electronics.

So let me see if i understand this correctly...youre saying to go and get a checkset and set it to resistence and put each end on the AIH itself or the wire that is still there? Once that is figured out (however it is that I do it), then i go and buy a resistor and hook one end of it up to the wire that is left and the other end to...?

Sorry for the questions, but I would really appreciate any further help you guys have to offer.

Thanks!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
:dizzy

Ok, so I've heard of doing this before...but im pretty much a newbie when it comes to electronics.

So let me see if i understand this correctly...youre saying to go and get a checkset and set it to resistence and put each end on the AIH itself or the wire that is still there? Once that is figured out (however it is that I do it), then i go and buy a resistor and hook one end of it up to the wire that is left and the other end to...?

Sorry for the questions, but I would really appreciate any further help you guys have to offer.

Thanks!

it's gotta ground somewhere..
just make sure you get a continious duty one with a heat sink.. that's a shload of amps flowing through those...

JRJ04

Reaction score
so im guessing by your answer that i will test the resistence of the wire thats still on the truck and NOT the AIH itself... do i just touch the other end of the check set to a ground to see what kind of ohms im getting?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
so im guessing by your answer that i will test the resistence of the wire thats still on the truck and NOT the AIH itself... do i just touch the other end of the check set to a ground to see what kind of ohms im getting?

no.. you need to know the r-value of the heater itself.. the wire is gonna be low.. 2-3 ohms at most..

JRJ04

Reaction score
Alright well I tried reading the r value of the AIH and needless to say im not having too much luck. Maybe you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong here...

I set my check set to the resistance mode and then touched each end of the AIH. On one setting it pegs it out, and on the other the needle doesnt move at all?

What am I doing wrong here? I sure hope this fixes the CEL cause the darn thing comes on everytime i get in the truck now!!:rant

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Jourdan.. you need to check a known good one.
your's is setting a code

JRJ04

Reaction score
Jourdan.. you need to check a known good one.
your's is setting a code

Well its setting a code because I have it removed right now...do I need to have the thing installed on the truck to test the resistence? I was under the impression I could just test it with it out...am I wayyyyy off here???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl