Help Needed Is it my TW chip?

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it my chip?

Pulling my trailer up out of the desert last weekend my truck would surge like the chip was temporarily turning on then off. It did this in the extreme, tow mode and daily driver too. Most of the way it seemed like there wasn't as much difference between the settings as when it was new from TW. I'm wondering if the connection is loose or could this be plugged/damaged injectors? Maybe fuel starvation? The last mile home is a steep hill and I barely made it up going 10 mph in 2nd. I changed the oil and filters (oil + fuel) before I left. The intercooler hoses are all tight too. This threw no codes when I tried to duplicate it (nail it) even though the symptoms were present.

Last edited:

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the HPOP? will it throw a code if it's not supplying enough oil?
It did it on both tanks so I don't think its a clogged filter in the tank.

mrpowerstrokeman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
if i would guess sounds like maybe exhaust back pressure sensor. i have had some ebp sensors cause similar concerns. best way if you can monitor pid data from your computer look at ebp sensor, map and baro with the key on and engine off these are all should read atmospheric pressure should all be within .5 psi of each other

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible that you are having poor connections on the chip or in the switch. Chip @ the switch requires replacement and is a shot in the dark that is not likely the problem if you're still able to switch programs.

You can double check the PCM connection by yanking the parking brake assembly off (only 3 13mm bolts no trim needs to be removed) and make sure it is still fully seated. You did put tape to hold the chip in the PCM didn't you? If/when this connection is loose you usually get either a fried PCM or a no start condition, so once again not likely to be the problem.

When the HPOP will not keep up you do get a CEL that will reset when you kill the truck and turn it back on.

Can you duplicate the problem at will?

If you unplug the electrical connector from the MAP sensor (on the firewall by the a/c) then the computer will use default values you will get a CEL, but driveability will only be slightly hindered enough that you will still be able to tell if this is the problem.

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used duct tape to hold the chip in.
I did duplicate the problem at will even after filling the truck with fuel, still no cel/no codes.
I can turn the switch but don't feel vast changes in my seat o' the pants meter like I used to. It's almost as if someone is toggling a switch off, on, off (mostly off).
I think this may have all started when I used fifty/fifty bio diesel a while back, but that has been a few fuel filters ago so it should have cleared up by now if it was that!?
Can I get a EBP delete gizmo to bypass the EBP sensor?
Maybe the EBP is sticking half shut?:dunno

Last edited:

mrpowerstrokeman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
usually if your chip is loose or loses contact your truck will shut off like a cam sensor will. try just unplugging your ebp sensor.

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will that hold it open?
I don't care about throwing a EBP code as long as it stays open. I'm thinkin' if this cures it I'll gut the valve and get a code delete plug!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ebpv will be open unless there is a signal sent to the actuator on the turbo pedestal. Unplugging the sensor (by the HPOP reservoir) will set a CEL but will keep the computer from actuating the EBPV.

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brandon and mrpowerstrokeman, I'll pull that sucker soon as I get home from work.
If that fixes the problem I'll get a EBPS fooler to stop the CEL and put a switch on the EBP valve to make it a Jake break!;tu

Last edited:

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OHHHH YESSSS!!! It flies like it did when I first put TW's Chip on the truck.
Thanks a million Brandon and mrpowerstrokeman, I was really baffled by this:hail

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58