Question Is the 6.0 Junk ???

mantis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok guy's I am new to the Ford Powerstroke world.I got into a discussion with a guy at work last night about ford diesel motors being junk.He said you have to change the Fuel filter on the 6.0 about every oil change, and pretty much had nothing good to say about them.Is this guy full of it, or does he know what he is talking about?

Last edited:

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
In short is the 6.0 junk? No it is not. Does it have some problems yes but they are easily solved with some money and better parts. Your buddy is full of it as far as the fuel filters are concerned. The service interval for changing filters is the same as every other vehicle on the road which is about 15k-20k depending on fuel quality and how many miles its driven. I change the filters on my truck every third oil change which is about 4-5 times a year.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guy's I am new to the Ford Powerstroke world.I got into a discussion with a guy at work last night about ford diesel motors being junk.He said you have to change the Fuel filter on the 6.0 about every oil change, and pretty much had nothing good to say about them.Is this guy full of it, or does he know what he is talking about?

He is Misinformed. The 6.0 is a Very Good Motor.

With ANY engine... It's All About how you Drive & Maintain it.

AND... We only hear about the ones that have had an issue.

How many 6.0's are out there.. as compared ?

My .03

Joe

mantis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
In short is the 6.0 junk? No it is not. Does it have some problems yes but they are easily solved with some money and better parts. Your buddy is full of it as far as the fuel filters are concerned. The service interval for changing filters is the same as every other vehicle on the road which is about 15k-20k depending on fuel quality and how many miles its driven. I change the filters on my truck every third oil change which is about 4-5 times a year.

LOL Well he's not much of a buddy,I told him he had more S&#t then a Christmas goose.He didn't like that to much.He also said that his son works on powerstrokes,and he says the same thing.(He also has his own garage) Then he said that the fuel filter alone costs 70 bucks

brianjbeach85

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
garbage

The 6.0 is a solid motor... if left stock! haha and who does that?? anyways the fuel filter SHOULD be replaced every 15k i do 10k for severe driving conditions, and to be honest i bought the fuel filter for 50 bucks? autozone? did the work in my driveway which took maybe an hour??

Biggest problems with 6.0 is EGR valve/cooler. People say head studs if you push power.. but to be honest i've seen 400rwhp and as long as ur not just beating the SH*T out of it at every light ur headbolts will hold.

hope this helps... EGR problem can also be solved with a delete kit... or can hammer ur truck once in awhile to help blow out the soot buildup IMO

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope the guy doesn't think you're suppose to change the oil every 15k miles lol.

I agree that it is a solid motor. And just like most things, parts need to be upgraded to keep up with the output of the engine. Although most other PSD dont have the head stud problems.....its just the 6.0 for the most part. And as recently mentioned, drive it with a lead foot about once a week to help keep the egr cleard up.

The need for parts change, when upgrading the engine, I think makes most people (I'm one of 'em) turn away from wanting the engine.

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel filters $50-$70:eek:. Go to the International dealer, $33 out the door. Same filters, just in a plain white box.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I now have 60,900 miles on my 06 6.0 and pull a 16+ fifthwheel with it and the truck is still doing fine. It has a 4 in Ex and gages and that's all. At Auto Zone I paid 50 buck for the filters yesterday, but will be picking up some from the I-H dealer the next time I am close to one.
Doug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58