Question Is the 6.0 Junk ???

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 6.0 started off on a bad foot which affected its reputation for the long run. Perhaps didn't do enough testing with it:dunno

It was not a testing issue. The engine that IH had developed was as solid as any before it..... the FORD BEANCOUNTERS got a hold of it, and cheeped out on some of the components..... The beancounter goal was to ge it past the 100k mile warrenty, if the component lasted 100,001 miles they were happy.... since Ford did not have to pay for the replacement.....

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was not a testing issue. The engine that IH had developed was as solid as any before it..... the FORD BEANCOUNTERS got a hold of it, and cheeped out on some of the components..... The beancounter goal was to ge it past the 100k mile warrenty, if the component lasted 100,001 miles they were happy.... since Ford did not have to pay for the replacement.....

Didn't International make the engine in their factory by their design? Or did Ford come back with a re-design?

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL Well I already knew the that,but I thought even a broken clock is right twice a day.
I really didn't think he was right,but he was the second person that I work with that said Ford can't make diesel motors.When I tell them that my Dad has had a 7.3 for years,they say well when they went to the 6.0 they screwed up

Obviously he is not smart enough to know that Ford did not build the 6.0. So far, the 6.7 has been doing far better then previous motors. Also, if I am not mistaken, I think Ford has built diesels far longer then even International.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno

From what I've read on it... The 7.3 could not be re-engineered to Meet the 05 EPA standards, so IH developed the 6.0, then the 6.4... but Ford had their hands (way to far) into those two.. for Build Specs. That... caused a BIG liability problem.. between Ford & HI on.. [who eats what].. on Warranty issues/claims.

Ford & HI divorced each other over that.. so then Ford developed & built, the 6.7.. so they could stay competitive, in the Light Truck Diesel market.

In a nut shell ?

Joe

Last edited:

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't International make the engine in their factory by their design? Or did Ford come back with a re-design?

Ford came back with a we want this to cost less for us to buy, and with these changes we can acomplish it... so IH said ok.... and we see how that worked. If the beancounters had left it alone..... I think the 6.0 would have been the "must have" engine ...... I know I love mine!!!!

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno

From what I've read on it... The 7.3 could not be re-engineered to Meet the 05 EPA standards, so IH developed the 6.0, then the 6.4... but Ford had their hands (way to far) into those two.. for Build Specs. That... caused a BIG liability problem.. between Ford & HI on.. [who eats what].. on Warranty issues/claims.

Ford & HI divorced each other over that.. so then Ford developed & built, the 6.7.. so they could stay competitive, in the Light Truck Diesel market.

In a nut shell ?

Joe

Yea...thats the only/mainly thing "wrong" with the 7.3....because of global warming:rolleyes:

I was talking to a Ford tech and he said that Ford and International couldn't come to an agreement on the price to build the 6.7....sounds like something along the lines of the Bean Counters up to something. But guess they didnt do too bad with the 6.7

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously he is not smart enough to know that Ford did not build the 6.0. So far, the 6.7 has been doing far better then previous motors. Also, if I am not mistaken, I think Ford has built diesels far longer then even International.

I thought the 6.7 was the first diesel engine built by Ford?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the 6.7 was the first diesel engine built by Ford?

First diesel for their Light Truck line yes. But they've built many diesels for commercial/agricultural applications.. for quite some time.

BUT.. ya gota remember... It may say FORD/GM/Chrysler on the valve-cover.... but who knows who.. Really builds.. What (anymore), unless you research it.

Like Sears. They don't make anything they sell...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58