ITP fuel system kit?

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here actually installed/used one of the complete fuel system kits from ITP? My rig is running well, but there's a few things that I've noticed and, if they are actually a problem, I want to fix 'em before things get broken. At low idle (650 rpm) the idle speed stays constant per the AIC display, but it almost feels like the engine is surging rpm then coming back down. In addition, the idle seems kind of rough and mileage is down a bit. I have switched back to straight #2 fuel and unlocked my hubs and that should help mpg a bit but even when I was running blended fuel and locked hubs, the mileage was a bit under what I would expect. None of these conditions are badly, or even modestly annoying, but if I am sucking air into my fuel supply I'd rather fix the problems sooner rather than later and one of the ITP kits seems like it would be the ticket. I have one of the high-pressure crossover hoses from Dennis that is a well-made piece of equipment and I'm pleased with it so I'm not worried about the quality of the product but I am wondering if the full kit is worth the cost.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I have done the tank and pre pump mods and feel that is enough for my truck. To say that your truck may need only that, I couldn't say because I think every truck is different.
One thing I do know is that ITP sell quality and stands behind his products and if you are going to purchase any of the kits, you will get top quality from him.
Jim

Mad Max

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I did not have the ITP system but I installed a home made system on my last truck that got stolen. When I get time I am going to do the same with this truck. It made my last truck run a lot quieter and smother.

Strictly Diesel

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JimmyDee said:
One thing I do know is that ITP sell quality and stands behind his products and if you are going to purchase any of the kits, you will get top quality from him.
Jim
Thank you, Jim!

Strictly Diesel

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mad Max said:
I did not have the ITP system but I installed a home made system on my last truck that got stolen. When I get time I am going to do the same with this truck. It made my last truck run a lot quieter and smother.
Max,

When you are ready, please give me a call. I'm in your neck of the woods and would love the opportunity to show you our kit.

drchris1024

SDD Security
Reaction score
ITPDiesel said:
Max,

When you are ready, please give me a call. I'm in your neck of the woods and would love the opportunity to show you our kit.

Dennis, I'm having a hard time finding someone in my area to install my kit, so it looks like it may be a DIY job. How difficult ( 1 - 10 scale) and about how many hours am I looking at ?

Strictly Diesel

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chris,

Not knowing your mechanical abilities, that's somewhat hard to answer...

Level of Difficulty: 4-5 maybe - I always tell people that it's more time consuming than difficult. If you take your time and follow the directions, it's pretty straight forward.

Time Required: Please excuse me for not putting your screen name together with your order. I don't know which components you have. If you have the full kit (tank, regulator and feed), plan on a full day (8 hours, maybe more depending on how many beer breaks you take). A good chunk of that is dropping and putting back the fuel tank (don't forget to cut the vent tube while you're in there). The Regulated Return and Feed kits are pretty straight forward, but with some of the fittings requiring removal of the alternator or A/C compressor (don't worry, not disconnecting any hoses) it can get time consuming.

I wish I could give you a better idea, but it depends on your mechanical abilities. Some people get them in quickly and others work slowly and methodically through the instructions and it takes them a weekend.

drchris1024

SDD Security
Reaction score
ITPDiesel said:
Chris,

Not knowing your mechanical abilities, that's somewhat hard to answer...

Level of Difficulty: 4-5 maybe - I always tell people that it's more time consuming than difficult. If you take your time and follow the directions, it's pretty straight forward.

Time Required: Please excuse me for not putting your screen name together with your order. I don't know which components you have. If you have the full kit (tank, regulator and feed), plan on a full day (8 hours, maybe more depending on how many beer breaks you take). A good chunk of that is dropping and putting back the fuel tank (don't forget to cut the vent tube while you're in there). The Regulated Return and Feed kits are pretty straight forward, but with some of the fittings requiring removal of the alternator or A/C compressor (don't worry, not disconnecting any hoses) it can get time consuming.

I wish I could give you a better idea, but it depends on your mechanical abilities. Some people get them in quickly and others work slowly and methodically through the instructions and it takes them a weekend.

Thanks Dennis that tells me plenty. I ordered the whole shootin' match, back when you had the long order delay. Moving or something. I'm a pretty good mechanic, just don't always have the time. I'd rather pay someone and spend the weekend w/ my wife and kids.

BBBxcursion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to get mine :) Just ordered today. Dennis sofar has given great service, I look forward to seeing the quality of the kit.

drchris1024

SDD Security
Reaction score
BBBxcursion said:
I can't wait to get mine :) Just ordered today. Dennis sofar has given great service, I look forward to seeing the quality of the kit.

The quality of the parts are superb, they would be alittle better if they were on my X rather than in the box :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58