Latest Recall

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the advice of a local friend and pulled and cleaned the EGR valve. This made a big difference as that the lag is still there but all the other symptoms are gone. The lag isn't anywhere near as bad as before and is tollerable. I did find another problem though and that was after it has idle for 5 minutes or more then it would spit and sputter just like it had loaded up on fuel. The problem went away shortly after pressing the go pedal. I have checked the hoses and all are still connected.Oh yeah, I tried running with the EGR disconnected and that was a no no. The truck couldn't even get moving due to no boost at all. Does the turbo now get its info from the EGR? I am now in the search for a programmer that will eliminate the turbo lag and improve my MPG. Oh yeah, my MPG has gone up about 1mpg since the reflash.

Thanks
Scott

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EGR valve works in "unison" w/ the VGT...one impacts the other.
if the egr valve is sticking it will cause the VGT to change the vane-ing
of the turbo and can produce "erratic" boost

even w/ a sticking egr OR a stuck VGT you should still have boost

you should avoid excessive idling...all it will do is "coke" up the
egr and vgt...not to mention WET STACKING.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard the term before, but what is wet stacking? unburt fuel and water vapor in the exhaust circuit that sticks to everything or what?

Gone Camping

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Blown Turbo Hose

Been there done that Twice. I'm on my third Turbo and it's
supposed to be an improved one. I'm hooking the fifth wheel up tomorrow
to see how she does with a load. The boost guage has been steady upto
22 psi.:thumbs
Well I think the dealership has finally done it. My truck is pulling my
Fifth wheel like champ.The boost gauge was so steady I couldn't believe
it.

Last edited:

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have been dealing with this for the past month and I have had it back to the dealer numorous times with no luck. I have had the program redone, EGR valve replaced and still the serious lag. I have also got a squeal from the turbo when the computer cycles the turbo (VGT) at idle. My dealer said that they never heard anything even when I was standing there beside them and it did it. I decided to go to another dealer this morning and as soon as the turbo made the squealing sound the tech shut it down and ordered a turbo. I am scheduled for tomorrow morning and he is also going to replace the Y pipe which has been leaking (or he says) due to the black soot on the fire wall. The tech said that the turbo is supposed to be opening up at take off and it sticks at a certain point which is what causes my serious lag and squealing not to mention the lack of exhaust pressure due to the Y pipe leak. Now does this sound correct? It sounds good to me but then again I'm not a turbo expert. Also, I am having the tranny serviced while he has it out to change the Y pipe, is there anything else I should have done while it is out?

Thanks
Scott

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
rsjohnsn-
a new turbo (hopefully a upgraded on) and new egr and the recall re-done should change your tune... all that and more was done on mine (long story) and it runs like a raped ape. i echo thoughts of bushpilot, no extended idling, bad news. try and keep it to a minimum and you should be a happy camper.:sweet

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What has been upgraded about the turbo and how will I know if it is one? As far as the idleing goes, it is always with the AIC mod or no longer than 5 minutes hooking or unhooking the trailer.

Thanks
Scott

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58