LED lighting causes Alt/ Battery issues

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hearing rumors, but can't find any factual info, that LED lighting can/does cause some issues with alternators and batteries.

Any truths ? Any info ?

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have heard it can cause problems with the alternator regulators, turn signal flashers and minor things like this. LEDs don't draw much power and the flashers don't flash at the proper rate due to not enough current passing through the flasher. Merry Christmas Joe.

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard it can cause problems with the alternator regulators, turn signal flashers and minor things like this. LEDs don't draw much power and the flashers don't flash at the proper rate due to not enough current passing through the flasher. Merry Christmas Joe.

Merry Christmas to you too Dave.

I know about the low amp draw ect.... you need to have an Electronic Flasher vice a Thermal flasher..... but I'm hearing that the High Output (watts/lumens) LED's are known to >maybe< do some strange things to Batts & Alts. I can't seem to find anything.. or a source to read up on it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is news to me Joe. I will check a personal source on Auto Parts to verify the HIGH OUTPUT LEDs doing strange things.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, Thanks Dave, this will be nice to know. Hope everyone had a great Christmas day.
Doug

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I checked with my mechanic friend and he said there are no problems with LED and alternators or charging systems in general. There may be problems due to the owner-installed items not being properly installed, but this is with anything owner-installed. Sorry Joe, I found nothing. :dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave.

The "Root" of this is: A buddy of mine is a Diesel Tech Rep and Mech, on the Research & Development side, for a MAJOR farm equipment maker. Works only on their Prototype Ag tractors and equipment they have out in the field for testing.

He sez.. On the new(er) equipment, they are using High Output (Wattage/Lumen wise) LED work lights for night work.. Low amp draw but high watts. They are seeing a noticeable increase in Alternator/Battery failure.. and are looking into it, but so far, thinking it >>MIGHT<< have something to do with the electronic side of LED light circuitry design. They're calling it "Voltage Spike Loads".

Just thought I'd throw it out here, on SDD to see if anyone had any further "Gouge" on it.

But thanks again Dave, for tapping your source.

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Dennis works on Foreign cars. Not farm equipment. Watts = Volts X Amps, so I am not following your statement 'on low amp but high watt draw'. I think the Voltage Spikes might be it.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dennis works on Foreign cars. Not farm equipment. Watts = Volts X Amps, so I am not following your statement ['on low amp but high watt draw']. I think the Voltage Spikes might be it.

That's what has my attention too. But LED lighting being fairly new stuff.. I just want to know more about it.. and it's application(s) to our stuff.

No Worries..I just wana know more. >>Think.. Off Road Lighting.. Low Amp draw is a Good Thing, but is there something (unknown) about LED's that can bite us << :dunno

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg