LED lighting causes Alt/ Battery issues

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working in the fields can be a rough ride and the LED's may be throwing Voltage Spikes their not catching.

I had to put two more batteries on my big gal Tuesday. These were put on in March 2011 and were dead
in Dec 2013, that's not to good.
Doug

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of buddies that run jeeps with LED light bars and they love them. No problems, and these guys do some Jeeping, like the Rubicon, not street Jeepers.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working in the fields can be a rough ride and the LED's may be throwing Voltage Spikes their not catching.

I had to put two more batteries on my big gal Tuesday. These were put on in March 2011 and were dead
in Dec 2013, that's not to good.
Doug

Case in point Doug.

I have a couple of buddies that run jeeps with LED light bars and they love them. No problems, and these guys do some Jeeping, like the Rubicon, not street Jeepers.

Dave

I hear ya guys.. I'm guna keep my "ear to the rail" on this.

No Worries.. Just pay'n attention.

Joe

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any LED lights on my truck Joe, just not getting any life out of my
batteries. Parts guy said I may not be driving it enough.
Doug

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
hadn't really seen much of the new super high output stuff off-road, so I can't really comment on that.

What I can tell you is, if you are trying to install it on an older vehicle that still has a bi-metallic flasher instead of a relay, LED's don't draw enough current top operate the flasher correctly.

Most of your mid-to high end cars are all LED lighting now. And have been for a couple of years.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I don't have any LED lights on my truck Joe, just not getting any life out of my
batteries. Parts guy said I may not be driving it enough.
Doug

I have had the same problem. I take my truck out for a drive (30+ miles) each week to keep up the batteries. Parking any diesel truck shortens the battery life.

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;) Yep.. As my buddy the Tech Rep sez: If yer guna buy a truck, for Driveway Show Status ?... Don't buy a Dezel. Ya gota Drive'm and make'm Work.. on a regular basis :lmao

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I was checking my batteries yesterday, as I had a no start due to slow cranking. I got out the battery charger/booster and was hooking it up and I noticed a loose ground cable on the passangers battery. CHECK ALL of your battery cables for loose connections. I tightened it and all was good.

Dave :dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;tu Glad you found that Dave.

I'm sure the SDD members here get tired of us "Ol' Farts" posting about " Batteries In Good Condition ?", "Battery Cables'n Clamps Clean'n Tight ?" but checking for that.. as a FIRST trouble shoot.. will Often FIX.. starting issues.... whether it be Slow Cranking, Smoke, rough idle, no high idle.. whatever.

As has been stated many times before: unless the Starter is getting the volts/amps it needs.... and the PCM is detecting the right Whizo volt/amp data.... things won't & don't work right.. Gas or Diesel.

There.. I said it again. :);):lmao

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is exactly why I posted that here. You and I have often said "check the cables for corrosion and make sure they are tight", and mine was loose. We ALL can benefit from our advise.

Dave

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl